This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The hypermiling thread
slowgls
post Aug 27 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #25 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

Ok so i filled up the car today and got 35mpg the last tank.Half of that tank was driving back from the pig roast, so half and half, was very happy with the mileage of this car.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Jul 1 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #26 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon

OK so i got a little update. Been using the stuff i have learned here and put it to use on the red gt. Here a short video.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
BNystrom
post Jul 1 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #27 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Thanks Received: 26
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 21

My '04 has routinely been getting 36-38 mpg on the highway with nothing more than using the cruise control set at 60 mph. It doesn't take any hypermiling techniques to good mileage in an Elantra. It DOES take a manual transmission, as it appears that Elantras with "slushboxes" struggle to get close to their EPA ratings.

--------------------

Regards

Brian

'04 Elantra GT 5 door, silver with:
Tib Sway bar, TWM Shifter w/raised frame and custom leather boot, PCV Filter, Disabled Clutch Interlock, Clutchvavlectomy, Fram Drain Valve, Independent Fog Lights, Key Out Sunroof Mod, Cabin Air Filter, Ground Wire Buss, A/C defroster bypass

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Jul 1 2012, 05:03 PM
Post #28 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon

Oh Brian, I wish you would pay more attention. That is my COMBINED mpg, not hwy. Here is what the car is rated for. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?act...bs&id=19596
So i think im not doing that bad. Beating the ave by 5mpg in a auto. Oh and using cruise is a bad thing to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chad Wilson
post Dec 7 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #29 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 9,866
Mood: Accomplished

Recently, I have been paying careful attention to my work commute route. I drive 42 miles one way, so if I can save some gas, it will help in the long-run. I have been taking advantage of several downhill stints for the morning commute. All told, if I can use all of them, I am able to coast nearly 5 miles of 42 mile drive in the morning. There are some places on the way home that I can coast to reach that 5 miles of total coasting. That 25 miles per week is about one gallon of gas. Over 48 work weeks, that is a fair cost savings -- $155 at this mornings gas price. Not huge, but $155 would pay for 10 weeks of lunch meals for me.

The Elantra loves to coast. On really long hills, the hum of the tires and sound of the wind is all that you can hear. I have to use my brakes so I don't coast too fast.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
litesong
post Aug 1 2013, 11:47 PM
Post #30 | Print

Club Regular
Group: Banned
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 8
Member No.: 13,201

QUOTE (Chad Wilson @ Dec 7 2012, 06:14 AM) *
I am able to coast nearly 5 miles of 42 mile drive in the morning. That 25 miles per week is about one gallon of gas. Over 48 work weeks, that is a fair cost savings -- $155 at this mornings gas price.
The Elantra loves to coast. On really long hills, the hum of the tires and sound of the wind is all that you can hear. I have to use my brakes so I don't coast too fast.

If you're only averaging 25mpg, then you're losing a lot of mpg, while ascending those hills you are coasting down. Agree that Elantra loves to coast, but I avoid major hills when I can..... & I'm averaging 39mpg.

--------------------

+Quote Post
litesong
post Aug 12 2013, 11:29 PM
Post #31 | Print

Club Regular

QUOTE (BNystrom @ Jul 1 2012, 02:39 PM) *
..... good mileage in an Elantra. It DOES take a manual transmission, as it appears that Elantras with "slushboxes" struggle to get close to their EPA ratings.

Thought as you do. Since I couldn't find a manual tranny & got a wonderful deal on an auto tranny, I was apprehensive about mpg. But I am so delighted that my auto tranny is averaging 39mpg w/15% city driving & a high of 43. Have had to work the manual mode of the auto tranny tho, to get the tranny in the right gears that I want them in. That takes away from the main reason for an auto tranny...... to let the car do the work!

But if the car drops under 39 to 35-36mpg during the winter, it'll be hard to allow the auto tranny to operate as it wants to. I really have fallen in love with the Elantra giving me a range beyond 450miles & allowing me to stay away from gas stations.

--------------------

+Quote Post
karrun
post Aug 20 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #32 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 2
Member No.: 15,804

Coming back from my daughter's last weekend, filled the tank back up in Rensselaer In and averages 52.3 mpg for the 127 miles home. Maybe a tail wind, but unusual traveling mostly westernly.
Normally i average closer to 42 mpg (mostly highway) with my 2013. I'm very happy with my mileage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank karrun for this post
slowgls
litesong
post Sep 2 2013, 11:03 AM
Post #33 | Print

Club Regular

QUOTE (karrun @ Aug 20 2013, 10:59 AM) *
Normally i average closer to 42 mpg (mostly highway) with my 2013. I'm very happy with my mileage.

Excellent! Do you calculate your mpg or use your trip computer? Do you have access to 100% gasoline(ethanol-free)?

--------------------

+Quote Post
karrun
post Sep 9 2013, 01:53 PM
Post #34 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 2
Member No.: 15,804

QUOTE (litesong @ Sep 2 2013, 11:03 AM) *
Excellent! Do you calculate your mpg or use your trip computer? Do you have access to 100% gasoline(ethanol-free)?

No, just use the trip computer. Is there a problem with it, that i should calculate it manually?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Sep 9 2013, 05:20 PM
Post #35 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

QUOTE (karrun @ Sep 9 2013, 02:53 PM) *
No, just use the trip computer. Is there a problem with it, that i should calculate it manually?

The tripometer seems to run favorable by between 1-2 MPG's. Mine is almost always in that range and it seems others are too. But even manual calculations aren't 100% accurate as gas pumps shut off at different times. So maybe that 42 average per the computer is closer to 40 or 41 actual, but irregardless it is fantastic and you are happy so that is what counts! thumbsup.gif

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
Bigspaceman1966
post Sep 24 2014, 07:13 AM
Post #36 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 0
Member No.: 18,742

We have been getting 5.4-5.5 on the highway in our 2014 Elantra 1.8L.Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Topic has attachmentsThe stay in touch thread
58 elantragt 185,930 29th July 2023 - 02:09 AM
Last post by: natesi
No New Posts The new Elantra GT is on it's way
6 elantragt 128,435 21st June 2017 - 08:11 AM
Last post by: elantraelite
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsThe Official EC bike thread!
286 popeye 10,173 29th May 2017 - 11:33 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No new The Story of My 2000 Elantra
30 wizewun 45,816 26th January 2017 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: popeye
No New Posts Then there were three cars
...am I becoming a redneck?
5 cobas 9,841 11th September 2016 - 01:28 AM
Last post by: cobas

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:57 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America