This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gas saving tips
elantragt
post Sep 1 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

22 Tips for Saving Money on Gasoline

Gas prices are on the rise. Here are some tips to help you conserve gas.

1. Keep your car tuned up. Cars in poor running condition use more gasoline.

2. Plan trips well to avoid unnecessary driving.

3. When you run your air conditioner you get much worse gas mileage. Use your air conditioner sparingly. If you have a lower setting, use it. Turn it on until the car gets cool, then turn it off and let the fan circulate the cool air. Never run your air conditioner with your windows open!

4. Keep your windows closed when traveling at high speeds. Open windows cause additional drag and lower your gas mileage. At high speeds, an open window can use more gas than many air conditioners (especially if they are on a low setting).

5. Check your tire pressure. Over-inflated tires can actually reduce your fuel efficiency, so don't overfill.

6. If at all possible, change your work start time to avoid gridlock. Stop and go traffic hurts your gas mileage.

7. Take unneeded items out of the car. You don't need to carry snow chains around with you in the summertime. Just make sure to put them back in when winter comes around.

8. Try not to idle your engine for long periods of time. If you are stuck in traffic and you don't think you are going to go anywhere in the next five minutes, you may want to turn your car off.

9. You no longer need to warm your car up for long periods of time, especially new cars. New cars are made to run when cold.

10. Don't travel at fast speeds in low gears unless you need the compression to slow down.

11. Try to drive the speed limit.

12. Try to accelerate slowly when leaving the stop light. It's not a competition with the driver in the lane next to you. The fastest person through the intersection just gets to spend more on gas.

13. No need to buy the highest priced gasoline. Most cars are built to run on regular unleaded. Check you owners manual or consult a mechanic. I have had many tell me that the more expensive gas is a waste of money.

14. Revving the engine needlessly wastes gas. There is no need to rev before you turn your vehicle off.

15. If at all possible, try to arrange car pools with co-workers to share the cost of commuting to work.

16. Walk, bike or run to your intended location whenever possible.

17. When the price is sky high, don't fill up. Wait for the price to go down before you fill up your tank. Filling up your tank when the price is peaking lets gas companies know that you are willing to pay ridiculous prices for gasoline.

18. Buy gasoline during coolest time of day - early morning or late evening is best. During these times gasoline is densest. Keep in mind - gas pumps measure volumes of gasoline, not densities of fuel concentration. You are charged according to "volume of measurement".

19. Choose type and brand of gasoline carefully. Certain brands provide you with greater economy because of better quality. Use the brands which "seem" most beneficial.

20. Drive steadily. Slowing down or speeding up wastes fuel. Also avoid tailgating - the driver in front of you is unpredictable. Not only is it unsafe, but if affects your economy, if he slows down unexpectedly.

21. Think ahead when approaching hills. If you accelerate, do it before you reach the hill, not while you're on it.

22. And last, the biggest and most important step towards saving money on gas is always try to purchase vehicles that get good gas mileage. The difference between 20 miles-per-gallon and 40 miles-per-gallon is huge.

Feel free to add any helpful tips or information you can to this thread.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spamcetera
post Sep 1 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #2 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 91

With gas prices climbing so fast, I'm planning to swap back to the OEM tires. I lose 2mpg with all that extra rubber on the road.

spamcetera

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
oiml8
post Sep 1 2005, 08:46 AM
Post #3 | Print

Mod Emeritus
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Thanks Received: 4
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 6
Mood: Accomplished

Another suggestion

Drive less, but when you drive, enjoy it!!!

--------------------

"Space reserved for pithy quote"

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Sep 1 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #4 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon

Scott... great point. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blupupher
post Sep 1 2005, 09:55 AM
Post #5 | Print

back to basics again
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Thanks Received: 248
Member No.: 52
Mood: Happy

I agree with all but # 4. I get better mileage in the Elantra with the windows down than with them up and the A/C on (on the highway and in city). No real difference between windows down and up on the highway with A/C off.

--------------------

"Those who yell the loudest about how unfair the world treated them are usually the reason for the treatment in the first place".
A nurse on a forum I am on

+Quote Post
Devin
post Sep 1 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #6 | Print

Funk Seoul Brother
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Member No.: 428

For those of us with sunroofs, take advantage of them! Especially the tilt feature. You don't lose any aerodynamics with the sunroof tilted, and if you crack your windows a little you'll get a lot of airflow.

When it's cool enough - in the mornings and evenings - I tilt the sunroof and turn the air conditioner all the way off so the air blows through the vents as I drive, and I stay very cool while getting about 3-4MPG better than my normal A/C driving.

--------------------

+Quote Post
trololololo
post Sep 1 2005, 01:08 PM
Post #7 | Print

Unrustled Jimmy
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Thanks Received: 166
Member No.: 165
Mood: Forgotten

someone told me about getting gas at 3 a.m. before. lol.

i think i'll do that from now on.

only thing wrong with this list is:

IT IS A COMPETITION WITH THE DRIVER NEXT TO YOU.

As long as its a man too, and he's got that eye on the green...

ITS A COMPETITION.

--------------------

Oh no, I'm so sorry... the correct answer is The Moops.

The packaging clearly stated '100'. I'm short ONE luft balloon.

+Quote Post
bratsmom
post Sep 1 2005, 05:07 PM
Post #8 | Print

EClub Donator
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Thanks Received: 6
Member No.: 1,200
Mood: Accomplished

I printed those tips for my son today. I don't know what he's doing, but he's only getting about 19 MPG. He uses the AC but we're in Florida and it's summer. Gas went from $2.69 yesterday to $2.99 today and some gas stations are out of gas. I know there is plenty of gas but all it takes is for one station to run out and then everyone in town rushes in and fills up. Is this mileage typical during the first 100 miles? Typical for a 17 yr old?

--------------------

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Sep 1 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #9 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon

19 mpg is low but if he does mostly city stop and go driving in the Florida heat and he's kind of heavy on the throttle (like most 17 yo guys lol) that's not totally unexpected.

--------------------

+Quote Post
olidx
post Sep 1 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #10 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Member No.: 683

I may have another recommendation:

- Buy 87 to 89 gasoline. With our cars, you will not get better gas mileage with 91. 91 explodes more slowly than lower indices gasoline and could give you virtually less power if you reach the timing adjustment limit on your engine for the same consumption.

I have noticed that red lights are gas consumption killers. It may be nice using (large) turnabouts in US: much safer (accidents are not frontal and at lower speeds), no light, less need to stop.

Oh one other thing, I would be curious to know how much gas our cars burn idling per hour? For sure hybrids have the palm there tongue.gif

This post has been edited by olidx: Sep 1 2005, 05:40 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Sep 1 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #11 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

I think the biggest thing or most people to remember is to not rush up to a light and slam on the brakes. I remember watching an old airshow performance as a kid. He would do half his routine with the engines on and then the last half with them off.

He was real big on energy conservation in it's most primtive form. It still sticks with me today. Read the traffic ahead of you (traffic= more than one car ahead)and see how far you can drive on a city street without using the brake and gas.

Funny note: At lunch watched a soccer mom in a 2004 Suburban 2500 8.1 gas running 70 mph in a 40 right up to the red stoplight and stand on the brakes to get stopped in time. You can see the stopped trafic at this particular light for almost a mile. 10mpg + bad driving habit=priceless! rofl.gif

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Sep 1 2005, 07:30 PM
Post #12 | Print

The teach
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Member No.: 426
Mood: Calm

Last month, I used my wheelchair for most runs, but with school in session, I will have to drive, and although I now will be at 1 school most of the time, I could be called to go to other schools after my day is finished to observe/test other students. Last year, 1/2 of my week was spent in other schools that ranged anywhere from 2 miles to 18 miles from my house. I usually spent 20 bucks every 10 days last year and this year, I know I'll be spending more.

I will be modifying my intake to put the heat shield back on and doing other stuff to it to save on gas.

--------------------

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"
John Betjeman

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Pinned: Tips for new Autocrossers
from the archive
19 elantragt 70,769 16th May 2014 - 07:09 PM
Last post by: trololololo
No New Posts gas mileage
losing gas mileage
9 thekens 1,003 9th September 2013 - 12:36 AM
Last post by: litesong