This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tips for new Autocrossers, from the archive
elantragt
post Feb 6 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

Ok so your interested in autocross and you want more info about it. well here it is:

Assuming you know the basics of autocrossing here is the info that you will want to know. the average cost is anywhere from 20-35$ for a event. just depends on the group you run with. you will need a helmet and normally the club has ones you can rent. you will want to get there fairly early. if the racing starts at noon you probaly want to be there around 9:30-10.

Our cars in stock for all fall under the HS class. classing From there with simples mods like a CAI you move to STS (street touring - S). this is nearly a wide open class and a really good class to run it. the downside is that there are people that have race only cars that are in this class. there is a lot of mods that you can do. from there you move to FSP (F stock prepared). This is a class where the only limit is that you have to be street legal.... or close to it. from there you go into either FP (F prepared) or SM (street modified). just depends on what you do.

Once you get to the event and have your car registered you will want to get the car ready. take everything out or your car. spare tire, jack, any tools, floor mats, and anything else that can move while you drive. now. give the car a good once over. check all the fluids and generaly make sure that everything is tight and won't cause you to break down. next up is tire pressure. this is where you need to just get in the seat and figure out what works for you. you will want to have a lot of pressure to keep the sidewalls from rolling over. this also depends on the tires too. the front tires need a lot of pressure to keep the tires stiff during braking/corning. the back tires are what you get to play with depending on your likes. you still want a lot of pressure but you can adjust it up more to allow the back end to break loose or down a little for it to stick to the ground.

Once your car is prepped go walk the course. you want to walk it AT LEAST 2 times. if your a novice find someone who looks lie they know what they are doing and ask them to walk the course with you. unless they are busy with the car they will walk with you. as you are walking try to picture which lines you will take as you drive. keep in mind that when your walking the course your going 3 mph and when your driving you are going 30-40mph. but think of your lines and try to get a solid mental image of the track in your head. if you have time find someone else and walk it with them looking at thier lines. just remember that the vettes will take different lines as the elantra because of the RWD.

Now comes the drivers meeting and the real fun starts. The drivers meeting is a way to get everyone together and let you know the rules of the event. this is a really good spot to ask any questions you might have. depending on the event you will either work next or drive next. working the event is a good way to get a good view of the course. just be aware of what is going on. keep your eyes on the car that is on course. and let the other people at your worker station that your a novice and someone will tell you what to do.

Next is your race. here is where the fun begins. make sure the car is warmed up and ready to go. as you pull up make sure your helmet is on, seatbelt is tight, and your drivers window is down. something i was told today and it made a difference is adjust your seatback forward a notch or too. it makes a difference but i'm not really sure why. now lean over and turn off the radio and the traction control if you have it. when you come up to the starting line someone will inch you up and tell you when to start. here you have anywhere from 30 seconds to a min. quickly run through the first few turns in your head. the starter will tell you to go. its not like drag racing. you don't have to go as soon as he tells you. rev up the engine a little and dump the clutch. or take a deap breath and just go.

After your run get back in line, take off your helmet and relax for a bit. maybe think about what you can do differently or ask questions if you really messed up. or just talk to the people near you and see where your times are.

-vabeachxd

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
smp85
post May 12 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #2 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 2,214

more tips for new autocrossers...esp those going to use their elantra...

well i need to let you guys know that if you are planning on autoxing a completely stock elantra GT, it sucks. i had a crappy set of tires on (thank god) b/c the 15" wheels allow for competely too much give in the tires, even with them inflated waay up to rock hard. also got lots of terrible understeer, and the tiny brakes don't help either. still had fun though, got some respect from the people with the dubs and subies coz i was actually autocrossing a pos hyundai and did somewhat well with it...fun experience, but never again with my hyundai. i'll wait till i can get my beater MkI rabbit GTI or MkII golf GTI...ooh that will be fun!

This post has been edited by smp85: May 12 2006, 10:16 PM

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
cobas
post May 13 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #3 | Print

Nanomember
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Thanks Received: 57
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 106
Mood: Blah

Rumor has it in rallycross you can place somewhere short of mid-pack after a couple of runs with just the tib sway bar.

--------------------

Help keep ElantraClub running and free for all Elantra owners: Donate.

+Quote Post
smp85
post May 18 2006, 09:59 AM
Post #4 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Member No.: 2,214

i placed right around mid-pack with a completely stock elantra GT, with really shitty tires at the time. i came in second in my class. i guess i'm just a decent driver biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
joehyundai
post Mar 23 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #5 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Member No.: 1,799

Mid pack? Elantra GT sucks? All you really have to do is put some sticky tires on them and learn how to drive. This is a vid of my final run last year. Not only did I win the class in this stock elantra, it was faster that some vettes, miatas and even an s2000. This was not my only win, so you can't blame it as being a fluke. The elantra is one of the best kept secrets in autocross. BTW this car is an auto.

My final run 2006

--------------------

My Webpage

+Quote Post
SWortham
post Mar 23 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #6 | Print

Countersteer forever
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 11
Member No.: 1,561
Mood: Indescribable

QUOTE (joehyundai @ Mar 23 2007, 11:26 AM)
Mid pack? Elantra GT sucks? All you really have to do is put some sticky tires on them and learn how to drive. This is a vid of my final run last year. Not only did I win the class in this stock elantra, it was faster that some vettes, miatas and even an s2000. This was not my only win, so you can't blame it as being a fluke. The elantra is one of the best kept secrets in autocross. BTW this car is an auto.

My final run 2006

Very nice driving. I hate to say it, but it's going to be a heck of a lot harder to be competitive at nationals. You can see what cars are competitive if you look at national results. That's not to say that there aren't other cars that can do well that you do not see in the national results.

But at least in STS, the Elantra doesn't stand a chance up against all the '89 Civic SI's. Those Civics are running at around 2,000 pounds after a little weight reduction. So that car paired with a good driver can be extremely quick.

This post has been edited by SWortham: Mar 23 2007, 12:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
oiml8
post Mar 23 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #7 | Print

Mod Emeritus
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Thanks Received: 4
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 6
Mood: Accomplished

Your particular SCCA division and region have a great deal to do with how well you do. I know Detroit it is highly competetive. I can't imagine a stock elantra with sticky tires running in HS could beat the Focus's and Mini's. One guy who was running in a Focus was putting up times very close to the best times in STS. He was an excellent driver. I think the Elantra is a pretty good car to run in though. Fantastic if you can win in your region. clapsmiley.gif

--------------------

"Space reserved for pithy quote"

+Quote Post
joehyundai
post Mar 24 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #8 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 1,799

The Focus' has not really been an issue. There is a Mini however that if he's sitting on R compounds is untouchable angry-bangheadonwall.gif I'm not running R's at the moment but I think a good set would make quite a difference. Other than that, there is an older driver with a 69 porsche 912 that is really good.

--------------------

My Webpage

+Quote Post
NY2002ElantraGT
post Mar 24 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #9 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Thanks Received: 14
Trader Stats: 5 (100%)
Member No.: 1,441
Mood: Nice

Great Post Mitch.... im looking to get into AutoX this summer. hopefully get a Gonzo G7 Rear strut bar! im ready to go!

how much do helmets go for?

--------------------

Cardomain

Miss my 02 Elantra GT turbo every now and then. I'm living the Jeep life now

Lots of Elantra Parts in my basement I need gone.

+Quote Post
Ishtar
post Mar 24 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #10 | Print

Educated Fool
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.73
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 1,461

Most Events have helmets you can borrow.

On the flip side, check eBay. You need I think the 2000 rating?

Most shops have the open face helmets for $175. Full face about $300.

--------------------

Come mothers and fathers / Throughout the land
And don't criticize / What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters / Are beyond your command
Your old road is / Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one / If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

+Quote Post
J-son
post Mar 24 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #11 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Member No.: 649
Mood: Drained

NIce one Mitch...right b4 the season starts!!!

I have a few links you newbies could check out...

For autocross stuff...this is a nice site: www.soloracer.com
and a few reads that I have picked up along the way...

Solo2 Novice Hand book: http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm

ANd one of the best site ever for finding events: http://www.myautoevents.com/pls/mae/frmMain.Show

You can even pre reg for the even through my auto events. OUr region request people to pre reg to help get the event off faster for more run time!!!

If I find some more...I will post it here!

CHeers

--------------------

+Quote Post
deloveh
post Jun 1 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #12 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 1,703

I think it depends which year of an Elantra you put on an AutoX course. I have done it with both a stock 99 and 01 and they act completely different. The 99 suspension is much stiffer and the engine a bit easier to wind out, but this all comes at the cost of comfort on normal driving. The 01 handled better for late breaking but I could not get a feel when to break to avoid the understeer as well. Since then my 01 is gone and I continue to run my 99 mostly for AutoX in the FSP category. I am in FSP and placed 3rd in the last event in the Washington D.C. Region where it is even competitive to get registered for an event (sadly no joke).
I am in FSP because I have a light weight flywheel. Everything else would keep me in STS. My other mods are I have Motegi Tracklite wheels with Kumho Ecsta v710 R compound tires. My air intake at the moment is a short ram with a K&N filter. And I have Iridium plugs, an upgrade my car seemed fond of at idle speeds.
In regards to someone mentioning the R compound tires earlier, yes they make a noticeable difference. From what I have read it means 1-2 seconds on a 60 second course. My opinion is that it means 2-3 over my stock tires which are not very good. Might mean less on a car where it comes with wider and better tires like a WRX or VDub.
But what really matters, and I say this with certainty, is the driver. You can have the best mods in your class, the coolest company stickers, and a really cool paint job, and get smoked by everyone. Watch any event closely and you will see that the best times are put down by people with good control and smooth action (neither of which are me). Usually they are not even the fun people to watch because they don't slide and drive the car uncontrollably. And to reiterate what I keep hearing from people, you improve by "seat time, seat time, seat time!"
As for RallyX I even did that this year and on my stock tires. I placed upper middle compared to all other drivers, and there were six subies there and a Tiburon GT.
I am only a novice having 2 years of total AutoX experience, and I think the other posts in this thread really have hit the mark on things to know.

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts New garage door opener
8 Blupupher 1,722 18th May 2017 - 07:08 PM
Last post by: Blupupher
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNew Wheels!
6 Sakie8015 66,155 2nd March 2017 - 06:38 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Newbie '17 ECO
First time Elantra owner
3 Kuritan 56,683 28th January 2017 - 10:20 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts New from the great white North!
3 ElantraQc 16,565 28th January 2017 - 10:07 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts New Member, 1st time Hyundai owner
2017 ECO
1 Kuritan 10,035 8th January 2017 - 03:04 AM
Last post by: trololololo

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:27 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America