This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elantras and Autocross, Are they competitive?
Mayberryman
post Apr 27 2012, 08:02 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 33
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 10,437
Mood: Cheerful

I have read where a couple of members autocross their Elantras, I am going to guess that an Elantra would run in the SCCA
H-Stock class. I have not autocrossed for a few years, the last time being in 2006 and 2007 when I found that my Scion tC was not all that competitive in H-Stock, having to run against some of the lower powered Hondas and the stock MGs as well as the rear wheel drive celicas. Having driven the 02 Elantra GT for the past seven or eight months I can not believe that it would hold it's own with top flight H-Stock cars. I might take the car to an autocross this year, however, I have no real expectations of being able to compete with the better cars in the class. Not only do I think that there are other quicker cars, but in the current rules, you almost have to have at least 1,500 dollars in special DOT rated racing type tires as well as fairly high dollar shocks.

I am not knocking the Elantra, just giving my opinion. If any of you actively compete in any type of competition please chime in and give your opinion of your car as opposed to those you have to compete against.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
roydjt
post Apr 27 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #2 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

Several of our members have autocrossed their Elantras, and they all had similar things to say. It was fun, they opened a lot of peoples' eyes, but they were not competitive. This is a daily driver, an econobox, but with some suspension mods it can be a capable and fun car to drive. It's underpowered and overweight against better suited cars, but it's roomier and more versatile than, say, an S2000. If you want to be competitive, get a car that is meant to be quick. If you just want to have some fun, toss the Elantra around the track a few times and expect to be around the middle of the pack if you know how to drive it.

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Apr 27 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #3 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

They are out classed in stock class. Mini coppers will win every time. I hate the rules for stock class. This year im running in st a street tire class. You shouldn't be able to run race rubber in stock class. SCCA rules suck ass. The only way you will win is with money.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
1 members thank slowgls for this post
RPW00Mirage
Mayberryman
post Apr 28 2012, 09:13 AM
Post #4 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Thanks Received: 33
Member No.: 10,437
Mood: Cheerful

QUOTE (slowgls @ Apr 28 2012, 12:38 AM) *
They are out classed in stock class. Mini coppers will win every time. I hate the rules for stock class. This year im running in st a street tire class. You shouldn't be able to run race rubber in stock class. SCCA rules suck ass. The only way you will win is with money.

You are competely correct about SCCA stock autocross rules. In 1998, when I retired the first time, I built a Mazda RX 7 and took it to drivers school and raced a couple of regional events in Spec RX7. Having done that and looking to do something that did not need a trailer and tow car I looked at autocross, something I was very big into in the 70s and early 80s. I attended and competed in a couple of local SCCA and NASA events in the Mid Atlantic area. I was amazed at what stock class had become. I did my homework and decided that to be competitive, even on a local basis, I would most likely need to purchase either a Honda Civic or CRX to compete in the H-Stock class. Not only would I need the car, but I would also need one of the cheap Harbor Freight 40" by 48" inch trailers for the specialty tires, jack, tools and other things that would be needed. I realized, at that point, that it would be much better (at my age) and more fun to attend races at Summit Point and VIR as a spectator and camper and bought a Little Guy Teardrop and put a hitch on my tC.

I do long for the days that auto crossing consisted of three different states of preperation, stock, prepared and modified.

I also long for gas that cost less than a dollar per gallon, however, guess what that aint going to happen, either.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
bhorste
post Apr 28 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #5 | Print

Resident Guitar Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Thanks Received: 437
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 6,125
Mood: Pensive

As long as you're not running a Divisional, National or Pro event, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to at least hang close with most of the H Stock field. Remember to really bump up your tire pressures (at least 10PSI over, but less at the rear to help it rotate), take out EVERYTHING you don't need and go have fun.

This is coming from a guy that won 2 regional championships in H Stock in a 1991 Ford Festiva (although yes, I did have 13" rims with DOT autocross tires). I could usually hang with the low-end Integras and anything else that came along, almost always picked up the inside rear wheel and sometimes both inside wheels, had a blast and BLEW PEOPLE'S MINDS WITH AN UNDERPOWERED ECONO-BOX. Go to town and have fun, man. Screw the rules.

--------------------

-Ben
'03 GT, and a proud Lifetimer
'14 Ford Fiesta SE

http://www.lagerhaus5.com

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Apr 28 2012, 09:37 AM
Post #6 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon

I mean dont get me wrong, i have a blast autoxing my car, it just going to take some money to even be competitive.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
slows gurl
post Apr 28 2012, 10:24 AM
Post #7 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 85
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 12,110
Mood: Chipper

I went autocrossing for the first time with Kyle this past Sunday and it was super fun! Yeah you don't run the fastest especially compared to everyone with their Subaru's and BMW's that throw thousands of dollars of after market stuff in them.
So I have to agree its not that competitive but it sure as hell is fun!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
trololololo
post May 1 2012, 08:05 AM
Post #8 | Print

Unrustled Jimmy
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Thanks Received: 166
Member No.: 165
Mood: Forgotten

If u do a search u'll find tons of discussions on older elantras and what it would take to make them competitive
I don't know about new rules, and what would take u to next level
But standard i/h/e sway bars coilovers and good tires was the recipe du jour

--------------------

Oh no, I'm so sorry... the correct answer is The Moops.

The packaging clearly stated '100'. I'm short ONE luft balloon.

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post May 1 2012, 08:15 AM
Post #9 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

I ran the Accent on Fuzion HRi's in HS last year twice. Ran midpack. Not becaus of the car... that's for sure. Body roll on the early Hyundai's is atrocious. the lack of camber is terrible. THe Stock sway bars are tiny. They're just not made for that.

With that said.... the Elantra sitting on 16x7.5" wheels and 225/45/16 tires, 19mm rear bar and some better springs/struts is locally competitive. With the new STC/STF classes I think it could be better than when it was forced to run head to head with the 89 Civic Si. Intake/Exhaust (manifold back), Tib Koni Sports, Ground control springs with a 450lb front and a 650lb rear would be about perfect IMO. Add Hawk HPS all around and you should be really competitive.

EDIT: The car in my sig, 02 GLS with H&R's, 19mm rear bar, OEM struts, 16x7 Konigs wrapped in 225/45/16 Hankook RS2 won the regional STS (then became ST, and is now STC) title in 2009. Locally these cars can be competitive.... just not in stock class.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
slowgls
post May 1 2012, 10:10 AM
Post #10 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ May 1 2012, 08:15 AM) *
just not in stock class.

This is the key!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post May 1 2012, 10:13 AM
Post #11 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

Funny this came up.... Porky will be making a return to auto-x Sunday if the rain holds. THe vette is not finished/running/broken in yet so she has to make our first event for me. Well, that is if the rain holds off. If it rains, the Accent goes out to play. LRR tires on the Elantra should be interesting to auto-x on. Still running the H&R's, but the struts are toast and I still have the rear 19mm bar.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
slowgls
post May 1 2012, 10:20 AM
Post #12 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon

Here is a few pics of me on stock springs and shocks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 user(s) are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsAutocrossed today with an 03 GT...
lulz
9 RPW00Mirage 7,715 24th August 2015 - 09:02 PM
Last post by: 2000J25SP
No New Posts Autocross
18 ElMurcielago 22,606 26th May 2015 - 04:02 PM
Last post by: Bobzilla
No New Posts And if the last one wasn't enough for you
the ghost of Ayrton Senna
0 bhorste 10,010 6th December 2013 - 05:29 PM
Last post by: bhorste
No New Posts Autocross Hickory NC March 30th 2013
5 2000J25SP 8,640 6th March 2013 - 12:59 PM