This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> F-Street Prepared Elantra, Has anyone tried it? Thought about trying it?
gduncan56
post Nov 20 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 5,365

Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum but have been monitoring it quite closely over the past month. I previously owned a 2003 Elantra GLS, which in a strange twist of fate has come back into my possession.

Because I'm the type of person that just can't leave well enough alone, I've looked at the SCCA Solo rules and I think that (at least on paper) a FSP Elantra looks like it would do reasonably well. Has anyone competed in FSP with an Elantra? Has anyone thought about doing it?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I shouldn't even be considering a new racing project, especially because I'm currently building a ITA car for road racing, but as I said I just can't leave well enough alone. smile.gif

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Midnightsky
post Nov 20 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #2 | Print

BOOST ME!!!!!
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Member No.: 2,333
Mood: Bored

Hey dood, I am also going to auto-x my 03 Elantra GT Hatchback next year and there is a number of other members on here that also auto-x.......toecutter, bobzilla, swortham, not sure if Gonzo does, and i know there is a few others that also auto-x. Personally the majority of the guys have gone with tiburon KYB GR-2 struts and Elantra Eibach lowering springs. Added to that adjustable camber bolts and a tiburon rear sway bar and your nearly set for auto-x. Something I am going to custom fab is some brackets to stick on the headrests for a racing harness, toecutter did something similar to my plans, which partially came from his design biggrin.gif thx toe, i owe ya. The most popular tire choice is the Falkin RT-615, if u can have your fenders rolled 225's would be the way to go but for guys like me who can't afford to do that I'm goin with 215's.

--------------------

Your only crazy until you can back up your theory

+Quote Post
Ishtar
post Nov 20 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #3 | Print

Educated Fool
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.72
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 1,461
Mood: Accomplished

Wow.

So much disinformation.

For your information new guy, I also autoX as well. Here are the common denominators for what we are running (Bobzilla, Oiml8, to some extent me, LateAPXR, J-Son, Mregt, etc):

H&R Lowering Springs
Tib GR-2 or '03 Tib OEM GT Hardride struts *or* K-Sports, but we've had lots of failures with the coilovers (oiml8's got his on the market if youa re interested)
19.2mm sway bar

---

We're running Falken 215 width RT215/615s, 225 BFG KDs, or 225 Hankook RS-2s. Most of us are running lightweight wheels like the 15" rotas or similar.

Most of us have toyed with FSP, but we're all knee deep in STS class equipment (tires, etc) that we're waiting for tires to be dead or such before moving over. Also, FSP is a really lightly populated class so you will probably have less competition.

Feel free to ask us questions!

--------------------

Come mothers and fathers / Throughout the land
And don't criticize / What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters / Are beyond your command
Your old road is / Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one / If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 21 2007, 07:53 AM
Post #4 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

Definately considered that as a possibility in the future. We have none running here in the Indy region, so that would make a very boring class IMO.

On a national level, how well would the car do in FSP? Not sure to be honest. I guess it would all depend on car prep and driver skill.

As for where I am currently, 225/45/16 Hankook RS-2's on 16x7 Konig Holes, running H&R springs on stock struts, 19mm Tib sway bar and the Spectra5 frt strut bar. I was typically 3rd in our local class behind a Lancer Ralliart on K-sports and bigger sway bars and a Neon coupe with a decent suspension setup. Next year it'll be the same neon and a 90 civic Si which is about 3 seconds faster than myself. I am planning camber bolts (or plates if someone comes through) for the front end, poly mounts and poly bushings and a frt brake upgrade to help offset my rear bias I have now as this winters projects.

Personally, I think that using a 205 tire on a car as heavy as ours is a serious disservice. I think the car just needs more rubber under it to help change directions because ouf our heavy wweight (never thought I'd think 2800lbs was heavy!). I ran a 205/45/16 for over half the season and while the gearing was great for acceleration the tire just could not hold the car and slaloms were . . . a chore to say the least. After just a tire swap the amount of grip on tap, even with no negative camber in the front, was amazing. I can only imagine how well it will do next year with the proper setup.

This car needs a smooth driver more than anything. It likes to do one thing at a time (ie: turn OR brake OR accelerate) and planning ahead with it will save you more time than anything.

I hope some of this helps.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
gduncan56
post Nov 21 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #5 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 5,365

That's great information, everyone.

In my region, FSP is a hot class—typically with 8-12 drivers—so I think this FSP project might be worth something. Plus it could be a really fun thing to try if it's uncharted territory.

My car is stock right now, except the following: short shifter, easy intake mod, K&N air filter and Tib pedals. Next on the list is a Progress Technology 22mm rear sway bar. I have one on my Civic and have been really pleased with it.

My biggest question is which springs do I get for the car? The Elantra is my daily driver (and that's why I bought it) but to be competitive in FSP I think I'm going to have to put on really, REALLY stiff springs. Has anyone experimented with spring rates? Or, do you know your current spring rates?

I have a set of Eibach Sportline (I think that's the name) for my Civic and they're nice for cruising around town, but they really need to be stiffer. Unfortunately, Eibach does not publish or know their own rates for those springs. I've spoken with some people who are running STS and they've said that they expect those rates to be around 250-300 lb, but the top competitors in STS are running something like 450 lb. in the front and 600 lb. in the rear. I would expect FSP to be running similar rates.

So... to bring it back, what do you all have for your spring rates?

Thanks for your help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Nov 21 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #6 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

Rates? couldn't tell you. I do believe most of us are on H&R's for the Elantra, so if they publish those rates then you'd be good to go. Do step up to some better struts as the stock Elantra strut does NOT offer enough rear damping IMO. Fronts are ok, but not great while the rear, while comfy to ridwe on, is not stiff enough to control the wxtra body motions.

IF I was thinking about this in a more serious tone, I'd look at the new H&R coilovers for the Tib. The H&R's are using a Bilstien absorber with their springs. I think this will be the best option out there in time.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

+Quote Post
Midnightsky
post Nov 21 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #7 | Print

BOOST ME!!!!!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Member No.: 2,333
Mood: Bored

QUOTE (gduncan56 @ Nov 21 2007, 07:23 AM) *
Next on the list is a Progress Technology 22mm rear sway bar. I have one on my Civic and have been really pleased with it.

Dood, be VERY careful with a 22mm progress rear sway bar on stock struts.....i'm shocked nobody else said anything about that..........The thing is, the Elantra stock struts do not have a strong enough tab to support the 22mm swaybar. I've got a 22mm progress sittin in my basement awaiting install but that includes new KYB GR-2 struts and some new Skunk2 tib springs<---*most ppl think i'm stupid for trying tib springs, the Elantra so far with testing by others have proved to handle better with Elantra springs and tib struts.......I am going to try the skunk2 springs i got cause they saved me at least $100 over the H&R's on the market at the time* Another option is to weld an extra peice of metal on the tab after installing the swaybar, this has been done by a guy on Newtib.com for his tiburon and he will be doing the same for my Elantra when I get my suspension swapped at his work early next year.

--------------------

Your only crazy until you can back up your theory

+Quote Post
Ishtar
post Nov 21 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #8 | Print

Educated Fool
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.72
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 1,461

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Nov 21 2007, 10:50 AM) *
Rates? couldn't tell you. I do believe most of us are on H&R's for the Elantra, so if they publish those rates then you'd be good to go. Do step up to some better struts as the stock Elantra strut does NOT offer enough rear damping IMO. Fronts are ok, but not great while the rear, while comfy to ridwe on, is not stiff enough to control the wxtra body motions.

IF I was thinking about this in a more serious tone, I'd look at the new H&R coilovers for the Tib. The H&R's are using a Bilstien absorber with their springs. I think this will be the best option out there in time.

Yeah if the H&R COilovers were available a year ago I would have gone with it!

--------------------

Come mothers and fathers / Throughout the land
And don't criticize / What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters / Are beyond your command
Your old road is / Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one / If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

+Quote Post
deloveh
post Dec 26 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #9 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 1,703

gduncan56: competed in FSP with an Elantra?
YES!!!! My wife and I have for 3 years in two different regions and have done farely well. In the OVR region it was sparse a few years ago, but this year the FSP national chamption was from OVR. Also of note is that at nationals FSP was one of the smallest classes in 03 but is now one of the largest. We currently compete in the WDCR region and it usually has 6-10 drivers. WDCR is one of the super regions. The 2006 FSP national winner was from WDCR, he promptly sold his (prepared to the absolute limit) VW to another member who races it.

If you want to know your competition look at past event results to know your regions competition. And look at the nationals results:
http://www.scca.org/documents/resultfiles/...lts%2011.14.pdf
Sadly not a single Hyundai sad.gif

What I compete with so far? - Check out my garage to see the list, but the thing that first pushed me into FSP was the flywheel. As you can see I am missing a lot of things I think you need listed below. Living around DC is too expensive.

What do I think you need to REALLY compete?
R-Compound tires (dot legal version)- If you run in a prepared class this is a must but was not mentioned in the thread. Most people say it can mean 1-2 seconds on a 60 second course. I am REALLY happy with my Kumho Ecsta V-710s. Be sure to read about how to care of them so they last. The other popular option is the Hoosier equivalent (not sure the detail on that).
Lightweight wheels. I don't mean 18s here, I mean something like the Motegi TrakLike 15s that I run. Many other good choices in this space which won't be quite as expensive. The draw back is that you need to consider clearance if you plan to upgrade to larger rotors.
Upgraded rear sway bar - I am heavily hampered by understeer and body roll because of this.
Struts & Springs - Nearly anything would be an improvement over stock and others have mentioned good options above
Better intake - Something that breathes better than the stuffed up stock
Limited Slip Diff - My J2 has more torque steer and single tire slip than the XD I had, so I would say more important for a J2.
A cool name - I think any good competitor need to list their sponsor as a cool/fun/funky name- we list as Shaved Fruitbat Racing Team smile.gif

Optional but beneficial
Upgraded clutch - Just to make starts better
Lightweight flywheel - Gives you that better spin up needed on tight courses
Strut braces
Better Exhaust

I would say be sure to stay in STS unless you can get R-Compound tires, lightweight wheels, rear sway bar, and lightweight flywheel. When my clutch was done so was the flywheel which shoved me into FSP. No one would know I had it, but honesty is key. SOLO racing is really a comradery sort of racing. When you race be honest, so when you win, be proud! smile.gif

And to beat a dead horse, being competitive starts with the driver. I have had better times at some events than a Mustang Shelby and Lotus Elise, and I am no fantastic driver, intermediate at best. Seat time, seat time, seat time.

Glad to hear we have another AutoXer

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Dec 26 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #10 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon

Even though I'll come in last, my plan is to run nationals in 2 years, 3 at the latest.

And the best advice you can get is right there. . . "Seat time, seat time, seat time." I've gotten better as time went on, both from knowin the car better and from learning from the others around me. Our STS class was about 5 "regulars" here and we all shared information and were glad to help one another. I think tha tis what keeps me coming back.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 113,181 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
0 zipzip 978 13th November 2016 - 05:56 PM
Last post by: zipzip
No New Posts Elantra GT TIRES
215-45-17 TIRES
0 i30al 1,055 31st July 2016 - 10:11 PM
Last post by: i30al
No New Posts Elantra HP boost
Any suggestions on hp boost for elantra?
7 Spiritblade 2,303 2nd March 2016 - 04:04 PM
Last post by: Morsel
No New Posts Elantra Turbo Pistons and Rods
Performance
1 TSmooth8403 1,585 31st January 2016 - 11:30 PM
Last post by: 2000J25SP

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:52 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America