This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2010 Elantra Touring - Electrical Problems!, Many things going wrong...and none being diagnosed
jerseyjunky
post Sep 30 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 1
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 11,229

For about a month now we've been encountering electrical issues with our 2010 Touring.

First it was the radio and clock resetting over night.
Next it was the manual climate controls going on the fritz. The unit worked...but the buttons and settings were not working in the combinations like they should have been.
Last week the EPS light was on and the power steering didn't start up in the morning each of the first three times the car was started. It started the fourth time and I was able to drive the car to the dealership.
Two days after that the car didn't start in the morning. Turned the key and nothing. All lights went out and the car was dead. Started with a boost...but didn't start again that weekend.

During this span I've had both the radio and A/C controls replaced at no cost under warranty.
The EPS is set to be replaced at no cost on Wednesday.
Today I took the car back in as last night the car needed another boost and the new clock and A/C controls we back to being reset and not working properly.

I've been told each time that I get the car to the dealership that they "are unable to replicate the problem". Literally, I've heard this 4 or 5 times.
Today on the phone the guy at the service counter at least acknowledged that it was probably an electrical issue...not a component problem as they originally thought. Really?! THANKS!

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership. I'm supposed to pick up the car in an hour...but I've told them I'd be more happy with a loaner and leaving the car with them to further diagnose the underlying problems.

Has anyone else had issues similar to this?
If so, how was the situation rectified?
What was the underlying problem?

Thanks for the help...it's appreciated.

JM from Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Sep 30 2011, 01:29 PM
Post #2 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

We've got similar issues with the Acura's. Ours is a problemwith the Homelink system that drains the battery overnight and loses memory functions. After a few weeks, it will kill the battery.

I highly doubt it is the problem with your touring, but it took many months with many vehicles to locate the issue for us. Now that we know, they have released a technical bulletin for everyone. Sometimes it just takes the right car enough times to locate it for everyone later. Sorry you're having a hard time.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
jerseyjunky
post Sep 30 2011, 02:03 PM
Post #3 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Thanks for the support.
You're having a power issue with more than one car? That's gotta be inconvenient.
What were your experiences like when dealing with Acura? I mean, did they keep the car and send you home with a rental, etc?

UPDATE:

I spoke with the desk guy at the dealership.
He tells me they have created a high priority account and contacted their technical support to aid in the diagnosis of the underlying concern.
Again they were unable to identify any issue with the car as all of these problems are intermittent aside from the A/C controls not functioning properly.
They are currently waiting to hear back from their technical support but cannot offer me a rental in the meantime as they don't have the authority over warranty work.

I'm supposed to be taking the car back in on Wednesday for the (likely unnecessary) EPS unit replacement. They are hopeful to have more answers/technical support advice at that time.

I'll keep updating as we go.

Thanks.

JM

This post has been edited by jerseyjunky: Sep 30 2011, 02:05 PM

+Quote Post
yjolly
post Sep 30 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #4 | Print

Expert in generalizations
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Thanks Received: 21
Member No.: 27
Mood: Okay

That's not going to help you, but this is bringing back memories for me. I traded in a 3 year old '04 GT because of random electrical issues. They are the worst to diagnose, and in my case, were completely unrelated and unreproducible. After a few dealership trips resulting in random swapping of parts as well as a couple of occurences of having to call for towing, I cut my losses and left somebody else the trouble of figuring it out.
I really, really wish you that your case is quicker/easier to resolve, but unfortunately there seems to be the odd car out there with such problems. Do give them a few chances to fix it, because they may be successful after all, but keep it mind that there's a small chance that you may have to get rid of the car in the end, unless you have infinite patience.

Good luck, and sorry if my advice isn't very encouraging.... they do seem to take it seriously.

Yves

--------------------

'13 Dark Grey Toyota Camry Hybrid LE, 2.5L w/HSD transmission. RTX 16" Multi Silver Wheels & Stock Tires. WeatherTech floor mats. I live in Luskville, QC (near Ottawa), Canada

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Sep 30 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #5 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

QUOTE (jerseyjunky @ Sep 30 2011, 03:03 PM) *
Thanks for the support.
You're having a power issue with more than one car? That's gotta be inconvenient.
What were your experiences like when dealing with Acura? I mean, did they keep the car and send you home with a rental, etc?

UPDATE:

I spoke with the desk guy at the dealership.
He tells me they have created a high priority account and contacted their technical support to aid in the diagnosis of the underlying concern.
Again they were unable to identify any issue with the car as all of these problems are intermittent aside from the A/C controls not functioning properly.
They are currently waiting to hear back from their technical support but cannot offer me a rental in the meantime as they don't have the authority over warranty work.

I'm supposed to be taking the car back in on Wednesday for the (likely unnecessary) EPS unit replacement. They are hopeful to have more answers/technical support advice at that time.

I'll keep updating as we go.

Thanks.

JM

I work for Acura, but I drive Hyundai's and GM's. wink.gif

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
VIG
post Sep 30 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #6 | Print

F.K.A. fsv87
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Thanks Received: 189
Member No.: 5,380
Mood: Obnoxious

^ The man knows his stuff.

Speaking of which. I have an Acura question that I'm going to post in the Acura/Honduh thread.

--------------------

Let me be Frank with you.

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
R.I.P. 2001 Elantra

+Quote Post
jerseyjunky
post Oct 5 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #7 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

UPDATE:

This morning we were scheduled to take our Touring in for the (unnecessary) EPS replacement.
When we went to start our car this morning it just 'clicked'...and nothing happened.
As I opened the door to head back into the house the display screen with the mileage started to flicker on and off.

So, we had it towed at Hyundai's expense to Burlington.

A few hours later...apparently they have replaced the EPS and a sensor that was malfunctioning and leading to all the starting and radio power issues.
The A/C unit is a separate issue and they're still waiting to hear back from Tech Support about it.

I'm going to be picked up in 20 minutes to get the car.

Does this sounds feasible or are we just being fed another line?

Also, apparently the desk guy told my wife when she called that he'd had a similar issue with his Elantra Touring and had the same sensor replaced!
WHAT!?? Then why did this take 5 weeks? Just because they had to prove there was an actual "no start" issue?

Thanks

This post has been edited by jerseyjunky: Oct 5 2011, 02:13 PM

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
jerseyjunky
post Oct 6 2011, 07:32 AM
Post #8 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

UPDATE:

OK...so my wife is adorable, and can unleash fury like no other (which was her role yesterday) but she also got some facts incorrect.

Yesterday they replaced only the EPS column and reset the anti-theft with the keys.
Apparently they replaced the EPS and then tried to restart the car and DID.
So they're thinking was the all the electrical faults were being caused by a diagnosed issue with the EPS.

Fine. Sounds great.

Just one problem...10 minutes after leaving the dealership with a fully functional radio, A/C, EPS and a new EPS unit...the car wouldn't restart in my wife's lot.

We called Hyundai Roadside Assistance and they towed us back to Burlington Hyundai where they set us up with a rental.
So...temporarily at least...I'm the proud owner of a 2010 Mazda 3.

Zoom Zoom!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bhorste
post Oct 6 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #9 | Print

Resident Guitar Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Thanks Received: 437
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 6,125
Mood: Pensive

*sigh* Gremlins are the worst little creatures. I had a big one living in the engine of my ZX2 way back when (turned out to be the crank thrust bearing, but of course they couldn't replicate the symptoms at a couple different dealers), and now there's a little electrical one running around inside my dashboard. Makes the CC lights go out and resets the clock at random. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet, figure out an easy way to get the dash fascia off and go exterminate that little bastard myself... and maybe make the clock match the instrument cluster at the same time.

--------------------

-Ben
'03 GT, and a proud Lifetimer
'14 Ford Fiesta SE

http://www.lagerhaus5.com

+Quote Post
jerseyjunky
post Oct 6 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #10 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

UPDATE:

I've just received word from Hyundai that apparently my electrical issue is all related to paint.
That's right, according to Hyundai they broke the car down electrically - traced every wire and checked all the connections.
They discovered that in three locations the ground was connected to the car in a place where the car had been painted and this paint was as least partially insultating the connection.

These are mostly my words...so forgive the terminology.

Anyways, I'm keeping the rental for another night but I'll be picking up my Touring in the morning and be heading north.

I'll keep you all updated.
If I get stuck up north, it's been my pleasure.

JM

This post has been edited by jerseyjunky: Oct 6 2011, 02:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Oct 6 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #11 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

So basically the car was not grounded well. Hope that is the issue.

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
hyundave
post Oct 6 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #12 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Thanks Received: 180
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 11,051
Mood: Full

Sounds like a bitch of a problem yet an easy fix. Hopefully it will all work out in the end!

--------------------

2008 Hyundai Elantra SE / Carbon Grey / Incus Body Kit / Sold at 98,400 miles
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium / Black / Current DD at 43,000 miles

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,431 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts 2010 CDN touring deck help
5 midnightracer 44,715 20th November 2016 - 12:03 AM
Last post by: gjopson
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
0 zipzip 968 13th November 2016 - 05:56 PM
Last post by: zipzip
No New Posts Elantra GT TIRES
215-45-17 TIRES
0 i30al 1,045 31st July 2016 - 10:11 PM
Last post by: i30al
No New Posts Elantra HP boost
Any suggestions on hp boost for elantra?
7 Spiritblade 2,280 2nd March 2016 - 04:04 PM
Last post by: Morsel

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:10 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America