This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How's your Elantra holding up?
Matts02GT
post Jun 2 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #25 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 964

We bought an 02 GT in March of 02 and it now has 40,000 mile son it. Overall we have been happy with it despite some annoyances.

We have had constant problems with the window stickers bunching up at the seams, had them replaced 3 times on the front doors and they are bunching again. angry-hitselfonhead.gif

The transmission has been reprogramed twice for a confused/hard shift into 3rd, it still is confused sometimes.

We had the CD player replaced twice for static in the volume knob, now have an aftermarket cd player to get rid of that problem.

The stock Michelins sucked in the snow and rain especially, they hyroplaned alot. I had Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds put on and it performs excellent in the rain and snow now. It also needed an alignment because the rear end would get squirrely driving straight on icy surfaces.

The fog lamps seem to burn out frequently, I have replaced both sides twice. I also have replaced the passenger side headlight. They aren't cheap! huh.gif

I have an annoying rattle int he hatch that I haven't looked into yet. I noticed that someone else noticed a rattle in the dash in cold weather, anyone know of a fix? confused-scratchhead3.gif

I know that this seems like a lot of things wrong, but we have been really satisfied overall with this car. My wife drives it mostly and she really likes it.

It gets decent mileage. It averages about 23 in town and on the highway at ~75 it gets 32-33. I have gotten as high as 38 going 60 with the wind mostly at my back.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Jun 2 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #26 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

02 GLS 5 spd, 44000 miles now. clutch replaced at 23k, waterpump at 22k and the black tape around 28k. I switched to my 17s at 10k.

All in all it's been great. The struts thump, but what do you expect for a $12k car? Worst gas mileage I've gotten was 25 best was 35. Been to Florida several times and all ove the midwest. GREAT CAR!!

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
dragonfighter60
post Jun 2 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #27 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Member No.: 391

01 auto gls 72000 miles I've never had a problem that was hyundais fault other than both lowbeam headlights replaced twice and the brakelights once. The woman that owned it before me had an aftermarket sunroof installed and they messed some stuff up that I have since fixed.

--------------------

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything

+Quote Post
flcerberus
post Jun 2 2005, 05:24 PM
Post #28 | Print

Berlin Veteran
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Thanks Received: 37
Member No.: 212
Mood: Bemused

18 months and 27,000 miles only problem was a fuse on my horn about a month after I purchased it. Only complaint is the paint needs to be better it chips way too easily! Other than that I am very happy with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
seriousblack
post Jul 27 2005, 01:15 PM
Post #29 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Member No.: 1,031

Hi.

I have a 2004 GT and my milleage is about 11K Miles.

problem so far:

Clutch slipping problem ( it is a design flaw (or should i say choice) made by hyundai between a stiff uncomfortable clutch or a slipping comfortable one...) it can be fixed by a DIY removal of component in the slave cylinder. I'm still working the guts to do it!!! blush.gif

Clutch ignition switch that allow you to star the engine. it was giving an intermittent connection and even though my foot was on the clutch all the way down, the car started only 1 time out of 5. Fixed it myself by cleaning and reinstalling the switch.

confused-scratchhead3.gif I have a weird nose that seem to be located on the right section under the hood and it sound a little like a turbo (???) it is generated by the engine and seems to be present at about 2.5K rev and higher though i heard it once or twice at idle rev.

I too have a little buckeling of the window tape but it is not too bad.

That's it! In fact i am ultra pleased with my car laugh.gif and since i can do most of the stuff myself, little problem do not bother me..

Serious

--------------------

Battlestar Galactica Rules!

+Quote Post
edge718
post Aug 12 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #30 | Print

2004 Elantra GLS
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 289
Mood: Refreshed

Well, i've had my 04 for over a year now and I don't have much to complain about.
The only problems i've had so far are:

1)Accumulation of like 50 different little white spots all over the paint despite washing and waxing it--and, for some reason, paint has been coming off my side molding mad.gif
2)Putrid smell coming out of the vents for the first minute or so after I turn on the AC
3)I had to change the front brake pads and resurface all the rotors only after seven thousand miles
4)My parking lights burned out and i've yet to get new ones biggrin.gif

I just hit 10,000 miles and i've been happy---we'll see what happens as the car ages

--------------------

XD2 Sedan

+Quote Post
Guest_mrsrony_*
post Aug 21 2005, 12:54 PM
Post #31 | Print

Guests

Thanks Received:

New here, We've had our 2000 Elantra since it had 9 miles on it. We're now at just over 150k. I have to say baby girl has been through hell and back and she's just starting to get alittle tired. Shes done 3 Ohio to California treks. Hell it was almost a year before my hubby changed the oil. (Dont worry- I keep the schedule now) The passenger side headlight and inside overhead light just blew after 5 yrs and the passenger side window just decided not to roll up. We are getting ready to have our second set of breaks on.

I am beyond amazed at this little car and am finding it hard not to stick with it even though we desperately need a bigger car.

+Quote Post
RedRox
post Sep 25 2005, 11:45 AM
Post #32 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Member No.: 207

Just went past 2 years and 40,000 miles earlier in the month on my '03 GT Hatch. Still pretty much a trooper of a car! Niggly issues:

1. Driver's side sunshade creaks and makes ugly grinding noises. But apparently only for me as dealer cannot reproduce, therefore no warranty issue. I figure they will start hearing it next year, oh let's say right after I hit the 60,001 miles on the car.

2. Clutch interlock remains flaky. Most days good. Some days I wonder if I will ever get the car started or if it is the "big one" where I get to call Hyundai roadside assistance. See #1 above relative to Hyunday warranty work. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to replace it on my nickel in another year.

3. Window tape. See #1 and #2 about willingness of dealer network to effect warranty based repairs. If I am willing to leave the car for a couple weeks and rent something to replace it, they can do the ship it out to someone to get it fixed thing. It's all very involved they tell me. But I can schedule it any time, just let them know when I can be without a car for awhile. Uhhhh... I can't. Or I have to spend $$$ to rent to replace for the duration, but then it ain't exactly a free repair anymore. So I live with it. I still have about 11 months based on current driving patterns before I run out of warranty to decide what to do. Seems like a "live with it" issue at this point, which of course seems to be their strategy.

4. Downshifting into 2nd get some synchros not really synching. Thought there was a TSB on this or something similar. But hey guess what. Not reproducible. No warranty work, no problems! I'm sure they will be happy to fix it after 60K as well.

5. Static in volume knob on radio. Keep spraying that stuff from Radio Shack someone recommended. Works for a bit. Makes a mess to clean up though.

6. Get horrible smells when I turn A/C off. See others have this too. My wife's new Tribute even gets it a little bit, so guess just something newer cars "do".

7. Having a lot of problems with the rear driver's side seat belt. It just locks up and no amount of opening/closing the door, pulling softly, praying, swearing, etc. can seem to free it up. I'd take it in and have it looked at, but I figure I already know the answer since it is intermittant for me as well. Put it down as another thing to pay for to get fixed in another year at 60,001 miles.

Now I can see why they can afford to offer such a great warranty. If you never have to fix any problems, then it doesn't really cost you anything and it's a great marketing tool.

Other than that it's been a great little car. I'm still averaging just under 32 MPG, but most of my commute is highway driving. No real rattles or other noises to speak of. Need new tires, but I got over 42K miles on the stock Michelins, so no real complaints other than it would have been nice of them to wear more to get rid of them sooner! And only 3 more years and I'll even own it! Of course it'll have a 100K miles on it by then! Stay tuned...

This post has been edited by RedRox: Sep 25 2005, 12:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MrGisriel
post Sep 25 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #33 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Member No.: 1,352
Mood: Accomplished

Had mine for almost 1 year, and my grandfather bought it new in 01, no problems to speak of after 5 yrs and 130,000 miles..... any problems were fixed under warrenty...

--------------------

+Quote Post
natesi
post Oct 10 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #34 | Print

Howdy
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Thanks Received: 20
Member No.: 1,485
Mood: Confused

2002 GLS, 30K miles

Overall, I'm pretty happy.

My main complaints are:
1--Rattles. LOTS of them. Mirror buzzes, seatbelt anchor rattles, console/light area rattles... ARRRRRRRR!!! This drives me freaking batty!
2--Alignment issues. I have to get this thing aligned about twice a year. I don't know what the hell gives. I've taken it to different shops each time and paid anywhere from $40 to $130. It doesn't matter.

Other than that, mostly minor stuff. For the price I paid, I can't complain too much. HOWEVER, the only thing that would keep my from buying another Hyundai is the dealer network--freakin worthless.

The detail to repiars and maintenance is absolutly deplorable and embarrasing. I've taken it to two dealerships and they both down right SUCK. Stupid stuff, like leaving the coolent overflow tank bone dry (when the maintenance interval I paid them for says to make sure the levels are good). Not closing the air filter device properly so that the car is sucking unfiltered air (supid). Overfilling the engine with oil by about an extra quart. And simply not performing the work that they said they did, like reflashing the computer for the 3800 RPM lag. It's an utter waste of time and money every time I take my car in there.

And when they do actually fix something, it usually needs to be redone later, like the B-pillar tape thing.

All that, and they want to charge you about 1/3 more than anyone else. If they CAN'T even do bone-head stuff right, how can I trust them to do anything that requires actual skill?

--------------------

2002 GLS Auto

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Oct 10 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #35 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.03
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

I have to say natesi... you're right on. I've always said it was the rattles, thin paint and crap dealer network that are my main Hyundai/Elantra pet peeves. Nice update. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doohickie
post Oct 27 2005, 07:17 AM
Post #36 | Print

Club Expert
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Thanks Received: 60
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 1,380
Mood: Cranky

--------------------

+Quote Post
21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 110,646 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Update on the car
5 The Gegenator 895 18th January 2017 - 09:13 AM
Last post by: 2000J25SP
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon