This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Overview

This forum is now a read only archive. Please use our Garage to update you car's information and pictures.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vehicle: 2012 Elantra Limited
IHeartMyRedCar
post Mar 7 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #1 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Thanks Received: 59
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 6,037
Mood: Bouncy

I brought in January a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited with the Technology Package in the Allure Red with Black Interior. The dealership called this car the hardest car to get because the Red Allures are made in the Korea plant not in Alabama. It also has an all black interior and has all the options available. I always name my cars. I named my 2012 Alexander.

Here are the mods that I want to get done within the next year but this requires working all the time while I'm in Pharmacy School. sad.gif
This list is not all exclusive and in no particular order. As I complete mods I will post a picture and bold the mod on the mod list.

1) Trunk Spoiler The MD's do not come with spoilers from the dealerships at all. sad.gif So added one.

2) 8000k Low Beam HIDs (I'm currently having issues with the install)

3) 3000k Yellow Fog Lights

4) Drag 31 Flat Black with Red Lip Rims with Pirelli's Nero or Bridgestone Pole Positions (Not sure which tires to get. I had the Pirelli's before and I loved them)

5) Lowering Springs http://www.shopbtr.com/servlet/the-250/H%2...-Elantra/Detail

6) Window Tint (5% on the rear window, 15% on the backseat windows, 20% on the front windows)

7) Rear Diffuser

8) Rear Glass Spoiler

9) Flat Black Top and Bottom Grills

10) Carbon Fiber Vinyl Roof

Stock

Stock

Stock

9 miles

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

I was asked on another forum to make a pros and cons list. So here it is for your viewing pleasure.
Pros:
-Adjustable levels on the front heated seats. I only had 1 level in my 08.

-Rear heated seats. All my friends love them. However there is one down fall. The only switch for the rear heated seats are in the back. So if you don't tell whoever was just sitting there to turn them off then they get out, they will turn on at the next start up and not turn off. The front ones you can't leave on. I think the difference there is the switch. The switch in the back is a switch that stays on if the switch is in the down position. The front heated seats are just buttons like a stereo button, as soon as you press it, it comes back to its original position. There is no lock for the heated seats in the back either. If I was a parent, I wouldn't want my kids pushing the button all the time and having it turn on. I would want something like a window lock on them.

-Bluetooth!! Love it! I do not need any cords in the vehicle at all, which is so nice.

-The wiper blades. Yes I know this is a weird observation but here it goes. The drivers side wiper blade is a size 28!! Its huge. So it cleans almost the whole windshield in one swipe. The passenger wiper is a size 13 but apparently a 14 fits as well. Since the drivers side wiper blade is so huge, it puts the wiper blade over lap line over more towards the passenger. This equals better visibility for the driver.

-Automatic headlights = amazing!!

-Keyless ignition/entry. My keys never have to leave my purse.

-One touch power windows both way, not just down.

-The Auto-Dimming Mirror w/Homelink

-The control panel is very nice and easy to use. It is all very close together which is nice.

-The lower center heating vents. I didn't think I would like them but they are closer to hands when they are on the steering wheel. Quite nice when you are touching a freezing, leather wrapped steering wheel.

Cons:
-Gas mileage is no where near 40 MPG!! I drove 400 miles and got a max of 35 MPG. I drove 65-70 mph the whole way because it was within the 1000 mile break in period plus I wanted to see that big 40 but it didn't happen. I'm currently getting 24 MPG and I'm at half a tank at only 150 miles. It has been a pretty mild winter up here in Vermont. I say this because I know cold weather is a factor on gas mileage however but it shouldn't be this bad. I also don't understand why it's getting the same gas mileage as my 08 was all around with a smaller engine.

-Smaller gas tank. 2012 = 12 gallon tank. 2008 = 14.1 gallon tank. I guess they made it smaller to help get better fuel economy.

-The sound system is crap! It suppose to be the upgraded 360 watt system with the external amplifier. I swear it sounds the same as, if not worse than my 08 and my 08s sound system was stock (172 watt).

-The Speed sensitive volume control is always turned on but yet to this day, I have yet to hear a volume increase during acceleration.

-The front seats are much more comfortable in my 08 then in the 2012 on long drives.

-Worse stock tires ever! They are Grand Touring Hancook H426. http://www.tirerack....del=Optimo+H426 Check out the comments there. All reviews are MD drivers say how horrible they are. The car doesn't seem to stop as quick but I'm going to contribute that to the crappy tires until I get new ones. Then I will revisit this subject.

-Hyundai no longer sells spare tires with the Elantra. They do this to help get better gas mileage.

-It also shifts weird. Let's see if I can explain it. I have the shiftronic option but the majority of the time I leave the car in auto. However let's say I just started accelerating. Nothing extreme. Until I hit 40 mph because that's the speed limit. The car will sit in 5 gear and run 1,800 rpms instead of shifting into 6th gear. To get the car to run lower rpms at 40 mph, I have to switch it to manual and push the gas in a tad more and shift it manually. After that at 40 mph in 6th gear it runs at 1300 rpm where it belongs. Also when I brake I can feel it downshifting. In my 08, you couldn't feel a thing.

I know this con list looks big, but I do love the car all around. Most of the time in life we pay more attention to the negatives then the positives.

So I have been brainstorming some ideas about Alexander. You all know I love the whole Red and Black thing.

Here's what I love about this MD (the last red MD):
1) The dark window tint
2) I believe that's a carbon fiber roof
3) The Rims (I will be putting my Drags back on)

4) Blacked out bottom grill

Here's what I don't like:
1) The top grill with the trim on around it painted to match the car is ugly. I wouldn't get that painted. I would leave it flat black.
2) Chrome handles

Once I get the black bottom grill, I will add these.
http://kspec.com/list.php?ac_id=241&ai_id=3384

These headlights are sick. Strike that, this grey MD is sick!

Ideas? Dislikes? Agreements?

I forgot to add that I'm currently looking to see if the new 2013 Elantra Coupes 22.0-mm diameter front stabilizer bar will fit the Sedans.

This post has been edited by IHeartMyRedCar: Mar 7 2012, 03:03 PM

--------------------

"You drive an elantra, I drive an elantra. Let's mate......I mean date!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 members thank IHeartMyRedCar for this post
elantragt, jamhandman, Red Elantra GT, sarge
slowgls
post Mar 7 2012, 03:10 PM
Post #2 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

Welcome back!

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Mar 7 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #3 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

Welcome back. I'm sure you'll be making this car as special as your HD.

You may want to also add your car to the EC Garage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Mar 7 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #4 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

Hey Amanda, welcome back and congrats on the new car. I know it is a bittersweet feeling when you get rid of a car that you put so much hard work into. When I traded in my '06 Sonata for my '11 Sonata, as much as I love the new car and all the features (plus much better gas mileage), I missed the mods I put into my old one.

Your planned mod list sounds awesome. For the grills, I like both the M&S and the Roadruns grill, but I would say I'm leaning a little more towards the M&S one. Though its a toss up and both would look sweet on the car. The Road Runs grills always looked like cheap plastic in their pics to me. I never saw one in person though to tell the quality.

I really am digging what they did with the headlights on the red M&S MD though. I think you should go that route!

Ohh and BTW, I love the name you chose for the car. Its such a stately name biggrin.gif

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Mar 7 2012, 11:37 PM
Post #5 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (Alex2011Sonata @ Mar 7 2012, 11:05 PM) *
Hey Amanda, welcome back and congrats on the new car. I know it is a bittersweet feeling when you get rid of a car that you put so much hard work into. When I traded in my '06 Sonata for my '11 Sonata, as much as I love the new car and all the features (plus much better gas mileage), I missed the mods I put into my old one.

Your planned mod list sounds awesome. For the grills, I like both the M&S and the Roadruns grill, but I would say I'm leaning a little more towards the M&S one. Though its a toss up and both would look sweet on the car. The Road Runs grills always looked like cheap plastic in their pics to me. I never saw one in person though to tell the quality.

I really am digging what they did with the headlights on the red M&S MD though. I think you should go that route!

Ohh and BTW, I love the name you chose for the car. Its such a stately name biggrin.gif

Hey Alex,

It's been awhile! Congrats on the new car as well. I knew you would like the name. But it's strictly Alexander. No abbreviations. lol I cried a ton when I traded him in. It was like 20 degrees when I was taking the grill off at the dealership. I was crying and my hands were freezing. Strike that I was freezing. It was bitter sweet. Colby (my 08) was sold to someone else within a matter of days. That's how I knew I took good care of him. I just prey some high schooler doesn't have him as their first car. *shakes head*. Colby doesn't deserve that. Colby will always be the car that stole my car modding virginity.

Yes I have some big plans for Alexander. Alexander will be the car I have when I become a pharmacist in 2 years. So expect big things! There are couple reasons why I traded in Colby. He was up to 80,000 miles already. sad.gif He had a pesky electrical problem(the headlights would flicker on and off sometimes) that I didn't tell the dealership at trade-in. tongue.gif Also the fuse in the engine compartment for my 4 ways blew for some odd reason. And they blamed it on my HIDs which is on a completely different circuit. thumbsdown.gif Then the fuel level sensor went. With rotations coming up, I need a 100% reliable car. Granted, Colby never broke down or never did not start. His battery tested like brand new this winter and I live in VT where it gets cold!!! Which is awesome but he was becoming an old man quickly. I would have had him paid off this year (which would have been 18 months early) however instead of buying a new car when I graduate and start making payments then, I decided that if I make monthly payments now (nothing extra) I will owe an amount on Alexander when I graduate that I will be able to pay off easily in 6 months after I graduate before my dreaded loan payments start. So while everyone else is making payments on a new car after graduation and making loan payments, I will be only making loan payments and my extra money will be getting saved for a house. Some people look at it as a bad decision and some people think it was a good decision. But hey I'm happy with it and that's all that matters. I have pictures of Colby everywhere. He maybe gone but he for sure isn't forgotten.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronjr8102
post Mar 8 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #6 | Print

Same sh*t different toliet
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Thanks Received: 86
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 8,569
Mood: Busy

Welcome back. I like all ur ideas for the car except the spoiler, I like the lip spoilers but it looks good on the MD. Those grilled are nice. Will follow ur modding as you go to see the transformation. Do u have a list of what u did to ur HD, I have a 2010.

--------------------

2010 Elantra GLS (Regatta Blue/tan cloth)
2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4WD(black-tan leather)

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Mar 8 2012, 12:29 AM
Post #7 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

QUOTE (ronjr8102 @ Mar 8 2012, 12:17 AM) *
Welcome back. I like all ur ideas for the car except the spoiler, I like the lip spoilers but it looks good on the MD. Those grilled are nice. Will follow ur modding as you go to see the transformation. Do u have a list of what u did to ur HD, I have a 2010.

Here is my old HD's thread: iheartmyredcar's HD
But I'm not sure if it includes all the mods so below is the list:

Engine Mods:
K&N Air Filter
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
NGK Spark Plug Wires

Exterior Mods:
Tinted Windows - 35% sides, 5% rear
Rear Glass Spoiler
Trunk Spoiler
Avante S20 badging
Custom Incus Grill
Sunroof Air Deflector
Black Bezel Headlights
8000K HID Low Beams
3000K Yellow Fog Lights

Wheels/Tires:
225/45R17 Pirelli Nero
Drag-31 Flat Black with Red Lip

Other Mods:
A bumper sticker above the center brake light that says, "Don't touch me, I'm not that kind of car."

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronjr8102
post Mar 8 2012, 12:39 AM
Post #8 | Print

Same sh*t different toliet
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Thanks Received: 86
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 8,569
Mood: Busy

Thanx for the list, I found the other thread two minutes after writing that request.
Did the NGK plugs and wires help with MPG or just one of those mods that are just done because (do those all the time)?

--------------------

2010 Elantra GLS (Regatta Blue/tan cloth)
2007 Jeep Compass Limited 4WD(black-tan leather)

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Mar 8 2012, 12:43 AM
Post #9 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

It was more for power. But you can't tell the power increase at the pedal but if you watch your RPMs they run a little higher because the better spark.

This post has been edited by IHeartMyRedCar: Mar 8 2012, 12:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg08101995
post Mar 8 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #10 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Thanks Received: 68
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 12,021
Mood: Relaxed

Amanda , I enjoyed reading your post and I like your taste ! I don't have a name for my car but now I want one now because of you , so here's my plan . After I get my car back , I'll post pics obviously and take video too . Then everyone here can make suggestions as to what I should name her . I want it to be a her so there's a starting point . I'll pick 4 names from that and have a poll . That's how we can pick a name smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
trololololo
post Mar 9 2012, 12:12 PM
Post #11 | Print

Unrustled Jimmy
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Thanks Received: 166
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 165
Mood: Forgotten

Make me wanna go get a new elantra!
awesome project

--------------------

Oh no, I'm so sorry... the correct answer is The Moops.

The packaging clearly stated '100'. I'm short ONE luft balloon.

+Quote Post
IHeartMyRedCar
post Mar 20 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #12 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

Greg, Its never too late to give it a name! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 user(s) are reading this topic (2 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,359 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts 2012 Elantra Front End Clunking
2 RM42 761 17th May 2017 - 07:15 PM
Last post by: RM42
No New Posts Topic has attachments2012 Elantra pics
9 danciucci 1,249 2nd May 2017 - 06:31 AM