This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Window Tint Question - 2013 Elantra GLS Sedan
SunState
post Aug 16 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 16
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 13,158
Mood: Accomplished

I want to get the windows on my 2013 Elantra GLS Professionally Tinted and I have a couple of questions.

1. To place the tint material on the back window does the installer have pop off the back shelf to get to the lower part of the window and if so has this led to any future problems with regard to the back shelf being loose or rattling?

2. Does the installer have to mess with the door panels to get to the bottom of the side windows.

Recommendations Welcome

Thanks

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nymeria
post Aug 16 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #2 | Print

look I'm a mermaid
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Thanks Received: 33
Member No.: 12,746
Mood: Creative

I can't say for sure, since I never directly spoke to the installer, but nothing like that came up in any of my conversations with the tinting place I went to. If I roll the window all the way up and pull down on the vinyl strip at the bottom, I can see where the tint ends, so I don't think they had to crack anything open. I haven't noticed any problems or rattling issues. It is the BEST, you won't regret it (and I say this even though I only have 50% all around).

--------------------

[  Keep this forum open for $6.99  ]     VIP access is now cheaper than a six-pack.

[  Keep this forum open for free  ]     Buying something online? Click on an affiliate link -- it's free and helps the forum.

2012 Elantra Limited with tech package, Titanium Grey exterior / Grey  interior    [  Garage & Photos  ]

+Quote Post
mlumz
post Aug 16 2012, 05:05 PM
Post #3 | Print

Sleep is for the weak!
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Thanks Received: 197
Trader Stats: 8 (100%)
Member No.: 250
Mood: Stressed

They should not have to remove anything. They usually have tools to place the tint just below the line of sight on the side windows and the rear windows. Many states require the 3rd brake light to be untinted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hyundave
post Aug 16 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #4 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Thanks Received: 180
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 11,051
Mood: Full

My professional installed DID take off the door panels. It's nice because I cannot see the tint line whatsoever. As for rattles, nope no problem. But then again, these doors are built to be removed several times before they start weakening up

--------------------

2008 Hyundai Elantra SE / Carbon Grey / Incus Body Kit / Sold at 98,400 miles
2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Premium / Black / Current DD at 43,000 miles

+Quote Post
LeMeez
post Aug 16 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Thanks Received: 23
Member No.: 13,293
Mood: Wise

Use a reputable installer, he should remove the panels to do the job properly without causing any future issues.

--------------------

2013 Elantra GT - Monaco White SE Tech pkg.

+Quote Post
benman
post Aug 16 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #6 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 268
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 10,696
Mood: Numb

My installer left the third brake light untinted. I should have asked that he not do this since my third brake light is now on the spoiler, but oh well.

Another advantage to tinting is that I was noticing a lot of glare on the shiny black plastic of the rear shelf before. Now it's pretty nice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SunState
post Aug 17 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #7 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Thanks for the replies so far.

Among the replies there are examples of tint film application on the side windows in two ways: Removing the door panel to gain access to the lower part of the window or cutting the film as far below the rubber seal as possible without removing the door panel which I would imagine involves just peeling back the window seal as far as possible with a thin tool or something.

For longevity of the tint film adhesion to the glass I am sure it's better to have the film/glass seam at the bottom of the glass as far below the rubber window seal as possible to prevent the film from peeling off from the bottom when the window is lowered. With that said, at least partially removing the door panel is necessary to apply the film in that manner.

At this point I think a critical factor is having the tinting done by a Reputable Professional. I would not want just anyone popping off the door panels on a new car if that's the installation method they use. In my immediate vicinity with a relatively small population there are not a lot options for this service. If I drive 35+ miles to a larger population area I am sure I will find a lot more choices so this might take some time to check out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
benman
post Aug 17 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #8 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 268
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 10,696
Mood: Numb

I believe many professional installers use laser cut tint, so the piece won't be bigger for trim off installation.

I hemmed and hawed about tint and finally did it. I understand the concern, but I really do think you're over thinking it. Find a reputable shop with a history and guaranty and do it.

I don't know if my installer remove door panels or not, but I don't see anything lines when the windows are up either. Has anyone actually ever had this problem?

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank benman for this post
Kate31
SunState
post Aug 17 2012, 07:51 PM
Post #9 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Benman,

Thanks for your comments. You are right, I am probably over-thinking this a bit but the thought of some yahoo pulling apart my door panels makes me cringe but I also know that in the hands of an experienced person, popping off door panels is no big deal if that's what needs to be done. I will start checking into this on Saturday if any of the places locally are open.

Thanks Again

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Aug 17 2012, 11:03 PM
Post #10 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

I've done a few tint jobs. In some cases, installers remove panels.

I just did the same on my truck a few weeks ago. Only because I needed to bake the tint in the sun quickly so it would dry and be ready for the next day.

BUT you do not need to remove the panels. When the soap or tint fluid is applied, they slap the tint onto the window and because its so thin, it slides right in between the glass and stripping and can be positioned.

The guys here are correct, tint places have the diagram in their computer. The printer cuts the tint exactly to spec. It does go below the weather stripping by an inch or two. Also the tint is just short of the glass edge up top by a couple mm so it's not peeled when window goes up.

Hope this helps. It's really a simple process... The biggest pain is the rear window! Its a pain in the ass and sometimes requires a hair dryer to shape the film. On hyundai's it's not bad and no hair dryer is needed in my opinion.

Make sure you get a good shop, they warranty's their work and can confirm the tint does not turn purple haha!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SunState
post Aug 18 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #11 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Vinnie,

Thanks for the great description.

Doing some local research this morning It's looks as though I have found just the right place. Turns out there is a tinting business not too far from me that has been in business here for over 20 years and does the window tinting for several of the local dealerships including the Hyundai Dealership where I bought the car.

The tint film is computer cut to size for the exact model & year and installation does not involve the removal of any door or back dash shelf components.

The recommended configuration is the same as they generally do for the Hyundai Dealership and complies with Florida Law.

3M Film

28% Front Driver and Passenger Door Windows
15% Rear Seat Windows and Back Window
$169.00 Plus Tax

Does all this sound appropriate? Will this be too dark?

Thanks to all for your comments. I felt as though I was at least a little informed when talking to them.

On the schedule for next week.

This post has been edited by SunState: Aug 18 2012, 10:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
silvergls
post Aug 18 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #12 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Thanks Received: 78
Member No.: 9,622

My tints were installed without any removal of panels. The doors are all tucked under the seal line and with no visible edges even for the rear glass and windshield strip. The rear glass was also done in a single piece. I was there chatting with him as he was installing the tints. They were also all handcut freehand.

--------------------

2011 ELANTRA GLS Radiant Silver
KDM Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, KYB Shocks, Reverse Park Assist Sensors, Body Side Moldings, Tints, Infinity Door Speakers, Kenwood Subwoofer, Vinyls, LEDs for Interior, Glovebox & Trunk

1998 DODGE NEON R/T

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 2013 GLS Engine Air Filter
Are there two engine air filters?
2 stevesusko 1,468 30th June 2017 - 07:32 PM
Last post by: stevesusko
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 110,515 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon