This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> newbie here...
hardheadted
post Jul 22 2014, 07:45 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 4
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 18,379

Newbie on the site. We have a 2004 2.0l cvvt elantra we are racing and look forward to being here to learn about the car.

--------------------

Thought I was once, then found out I wasn't, got confused, went back to where I was and found myself lost.

2004 Elantra Sport Compact. Central Texas Speedway #76
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
slowgls
post Jul 22 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #2 | Print

That Guy..
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Thanks Received: 724
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 6,539
Mood: Thankful

Nice, you should post pics of the car. Your doing circle track right?

--------------------

"This may be true but it is a chrysler sebring which is synonomous with being a p.o.s. car. Personally I gotta say it's getting
really tiring having to clean off the sopping wet panties from my Hyundai Elantra every morning. Bitches love Hyundais."

"Sometimes you wonder how the sperm that made that idiot was the fastest swimmer. . . Must've had a "race motor" in it with nass under the hood. . . " - Alex2013gt

+Quote Post
trololololo
post Jul 23 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #3 | Print

Unrustled Jimmy
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Thanks Received: 166
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 165
Mood: Forgotten

welcome to here. !

the 2004 makes a great racing vehicle. not many people know this but dropped off a cliff in a pelican dive, it reaches terminal velocity much faster than a feather that ways less than .001% of the elantras weight.. doesnt require alot of modification to get to the starting line before anyone else...

the biggest challenge would be removing all the comfort fits and wireless supports from the windshield..

wink.gif

--------------------

Oh no, I'm so sorry... the correct answer is The Moops.

The packaging clearly stated '100'. I'm short ONE luft balloon.

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Jul 23 2014, 06:30 PM
Post #4 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

QUOTE (trololololo @ Jul 23 2014, 10:58 AM) *
welcome to here. !

the 2004 makes a great racing vehicle. not many people know this but dropped off a cliff in a pelican dive, it reaches terminal velocity much faster than a feather that ways less than .001% of the elantras weight.. doesnt require alot of modification to get to the starting line before anyone else...

the biggest challenge would be removing all the comfort fits and wireless supports from the windshield..

wink.gif

Now this one had me rolling!!! rofl.gif

Welcome to the club! What type of racing are you doing with the car? Any mods on it thus far?

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
hardheadted
post Jul 28 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #5 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

Hey thanks for the welcome..

--------------------

Thought I was once, then found out I wasn't, got confused, went back to where I was and found myself lost.

+Quote Post
hardheadted
post Jul 30 2014, 12:53 AM
Post #6 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

We really can't make many changes from stock, actually suppose to be purely stock. But I have put in camber bolts, adjusted toe on both front and back, removed a/c comp., power steering, reamed out the first cat and removed rest of the exhaust system, straight pipe to middle of car. Looking to cut all the weight I can from it but we're even restricted on that. Learned how to reset the ECU to get a little more power. Running E3 plugs and going to high output coils and better plug wires, we also use 93-94 octane fuel. Over the winter I'm going to rebuild the engine and looking to bump up the compression by putting 1.8l pistons in. Just trying to gain all I can and still get through tech. Even looking into buying a remapped ECU. I'm waiting on a 3 gallon fuel cell to replace the stock fuel tank, legal smile.gif , and will drop 30-40lbs just with that since we have to run the tank 1/4-1/2 full to pick up fuel in the corners. I have a lot to learn but this is fun and I'm enjoying building it for my son to drive. I've been able to bring our times down from 22-22.5 sec/laps to where we have run a few 20.3-20.6 sec/laps. Trying to get us down into 19sec range. Front end pushes in the corners some and roll over the RF tire but I'm working on that also.. We're running on a 3/8 mile track. Trying to kick some Saturn butt on the track!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank hardheadted for this post
a_v
hardheadted
post Jul 30 2014, 09:06 AM
Post #7 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

This is the ole girl!! This is what she looked like when we brought her home.. And what she looks like now..

This post has been edited by hardheadted: Jul 30 2014, 09:07 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  10372338_10202861019424375_1227802975814954513_n.jpg ( 169.51K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Thats_us...jpg ( 15.88K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Finished_product__.jpg ( 203.27K ) Number of downloads: 0

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bobzilla
post Jul 30 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #8 | Print

Proud GLT Owner
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 633
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 532
Mood: Hyper

A few things.... no need for the high octane swill.... you're literally not gaining anything. THe car will run on 85octane without issue if needed so 87 will be fine. The stock ignition system handles much more power than you can imagine. Changing to "high output coils" is pointless and really a waste of money. Copper NGK's will likely work better for it than those E3 Gimmick plugs.

Other than that, you're on the right path. A remapped ECU will help a lot.

--------------------

Founding Member of the Indiana Chapter of the Teeny Weeny Club for Secure Adult Males

"Drag racing is for fast cars, and autocrossing is for fast drivers" -Toecutter

+Quote Post
hardheadted
post Jul 30 2014, 10:41 AM
Post #9 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bobzilla @ Jul 30 2014, 10:17 AM) *
A few things.... no need for the high octane swill.... you're literally not gaining anything. THe car will run on 85octane without issue if needed so 87 will be fine. The stock ignition system handles much more power than you can imagine. Changing to "high output coils" is pointless and really a waste of money. Copper NGK's will likely work better for it than those E3 Gimmick plugs.

Other than that, you're on the right path. A remapped ECU will help a lot.

I'm trying every thing I can right now. If we gain 1/10th sec from a change or something I do, we'll keep doing it because the competition is so close.. We have 9-10 cars that run within 3-5/10's of each other per lap.. We did go to the 93 octane and the car was a little quicker and my son said it pulled a little better on the straights. I'm working on the ECU next but still going to try the E3 plugs. If it doesn't work I'd rather try and fail than not try and wonder.. This is a cheap way to race and if I put another thousand into it I'm still below 3k total in the car. Not bad for the fun and bond it has brought to me and my son. I'm running the NGK copper plugs now and standard wires. The ECU is the big thing until the rebuild over the winter. Found one for around 400.00 that claims to bump hp to about 158 and torque to about 152ftlbs. Still looking though. We're not worried at all about mpgs, emissions or any of the road stuff. Heck, I'm even thinking of trying the 118 octane racing fuel they sell at the track and it's legal!! Blow the heads off the thing!! haha!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
hardheadted
post Aug 3 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #10 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

having fun at the track.

This post has been edited by hardheadted: Aug 3 2014, 12:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
trololololo
post Aug 3 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #11 | Print

Unrustled Jimmy
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Thanks Received: 166
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 165
Mood: Forgotten

if high octane makes a noticeable difference on the track then there are some other issues that need to be fixed to stop predetonation...

but other than that sounds like loads of fun!
u could try to tighten throttle cable and bore out throttle body and gasket match manifolds to heads

--------------------

Oh no, I'm so sorry... the correct answer is The Moops.

The packaging clearly stated '100'. I'm short ONE luft balloon.

+Quote Post
hardheadted
post Aug 4 2014, 12:09 AM
Post #12 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon

So far everything is going good. No problems with the 93 octane, we're running no muffler, cat has been reamed out and pipes only go the to the middle of the car. I've running NGK iridium plugs, plan on doing a TB Bypass tomorrow. 58mm TB coming soon. Even if it isn't really making a difference my driver thinks it is and we have cut almost 2-3 secs off our lap times, and that was on old tires. We had run mid 22 secs and now we are running high 19's and low 20's. I think it is partly from me learning how to set up the car and all the little things we've done including continuing to lightened it. It's still a work in progress and really won't be ever finished.

I posted a video of my son running the car on the track in the multimedia zone here on the forum.

This post has been edited by hardheadted: Aug 4 2014, 12:13 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Newbie '17 ECO
First time Elantra owner
3 Kuritan 56,731 28th January 2017 - 10:20 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsHere it is... the next i30
7 elantragt 10,874 13th September 2016 - 09:34 AM
Last post by: popeye
No New Posts Newbie