This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How's your Elantra holding up?
MattCXX
post Feb 7 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #13 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 0
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 41

Had my '03 GT Hatch for 16 months now. Very happy with performance thus far. Only minor problems to report with 19,300 miles on.

-Black wrapping on the pillars is peeling slightly
-plastic/rubber strip along bottom of windshield warped
-plastic nuts that held spoiler on came off unnoticed and now are lost
-passenger side vanity mirror cover hinge broke
-parking brake needs adjusted

these may sound excessive, but let me assure you they are minor and will be dealt with by the dealership.

--------------------

'03 Rally Red GT Hatch. 5mt no sunroof.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
basstoy
post Feb 27 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #14 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Member No.: 445

2001 5sp and I got over 150000km on it. never even changed the timing belt in it yet..... just oil and gas and 1 set of tires...... Im due for ffront brakes very soon...!!! great car...!!!

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
flcerberus
post Feb 27 2005, 11:12 PM
Post #15 | Print

Berlin Veteran
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Thanks Received: 37
Member No.: 212
Mood: Bemused

2004 hatch, 15,000 miles only problem I have is the constant smile on my face from driving this car. 2nd Hyundai 1st is a 2002 Santa Fe with 37,000 on it. It's been flawless up to now too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cobra
post Feb 27 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #16 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Member No.: 99
Mood: Accomplished

I have a Pewter 03 sedan also had it 16 months absoluty no problems tires are wearing even at 15000 miles .Seems to run better than when we got it very comforatable and fun to drive.It looks as good as any car I've seen.Jerry

--------------------

2003 Elantra Gt Sedan Pewter
2007 Chevrolet Aveo 5

+Quote Post
Tirolerpeter
post Mar 2 2005, 04:40 PM
Post #17 | Print

Think Snow!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Thanks Received: 4
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 113

I have owned the car for 19 months and it is absolutely the best new car (in terms of quality and lack of problems) I ever bought. I had a wind noise issue (the right front door seal howl) for a while, but that seems to have simply gone away. There is a slight "buzz" in the dashboard (sounds like an electrical wire that is loose) that resonates at certain engine RPMs as I come off the throttle in very cold weather. I also needed one alignment because I drove the left front wheel over a curb I didn't see in a parking lot (not the car's fault). The car was only to the dealer for 5 minutes the day after I took delivery because someone had failed to connect a windshield washer hose in a spot that I could see, but not reach to fix myself. I haven't even done the two recalls (brake lines & gas filler check valve) since I positively hate going to the any dealer. I have done 8 oil changes in 36K miles (@4.5K/change). I currently have about 4500 miles since my last change, and after a 1500 mile trip this week-end running a constant 32-3500 RPM I am down less than 1/8" from the top mark on the oil stick with no oil added since the change. That extrapolates into a consumption rate of 1 quart of oil/36,000 miles (assuming not changing it)! I get a solid 25 - 28 mpg local driving, and cruising at 75 - 80 mph with the A/C on 100% (My wife drives me crazy with her "no outside air" bugaboo so I have to run the defroster all the time when she is with me.) I average 32 - 35 mpg (on 87 octane) depending on traffic flow. I have managed as high as 38 mpg when keeping my speed around 60 with no traffic and with no A/C (and no wife). I have often gone over 400 miles before fueling on trips. The brake pads were less than 40% worn when I checked them at about 25K. I can't find anything to complain about. When I set the CC, crank up the nice CD player, and get my seat adjustments just right, I feel like I could roll forever. Every so often I break out into a grin thinking about how little this sucker is costing me to own and operate!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ronc12
post Mar 3 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #18 | Print

ITSRGT
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Member No.: 112

One of the best cars I've ever owned. Consumer Reports recommends the Elantra now with better than average reliability ratings. That puts us in pretty good company. I'm at 11000 miles in 11 months. The clutch had a switch replaced and both visors were replaced for broken mirror hinges. The drivers seat seems slightly loose, kind of rocks a bit and I just noticed for the first time this week some moisture on the inside of the drivers side headlamp. I'll have the seat looked at with the next oil change. I'm real happy with the handling, mileage, and fit and finish, it's just a fun car to drive. My wife drives the car daily to work but it's pretty much mine on the weekends. I really enjoy detailing it now with all I've learned in the detailing forum. Weatherwise I can pretty much work on it on the weekends, detail it that is. I'm going to go slightly off topic now but I have to thank Mitch again for an awesome club and to all the members who contribute regularly with enthusiam for the club, car, and it's fellow members.

--------------------

2004 Sterling GT Sedan 5 Speed

+Quote Post
andresmuro
post Mar 4 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #19 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 135

My elantra with close to 2 years and 26,000 miles is doing great. I change the oil every 3 to 5k miles and that's it. I ran down a battery giving jumps to my wife's car, and the dealer replaced it. Aside from that, I am very happy. I get about 25ish miles a gallon on a combination of city and highway driving with no effort to save gas. The exterior is unfortunately full of little dings from other people's doors in parking lots. The paint is not the greatest.

Andres

--------------------

+Quote Post
cclngthr
post Mar 6 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #20 | Print

The teach
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Member No.: 426
Mood: Calm

I have had mine since Sept of 03 with the only problem of:

door tape
inhibitor switch and evaporative canister system replaced
Shift flare which the ground wire mod solved.

With 15,000 miles on it now, it is a great car for the money.

--------------------

"Childhood is measured by sounds and smells and sights before the dark hour of reason grows"
John Betjeman

+Quote Post
mjrusso45
post Mar 7 2005, 12:38 PM
Post #21 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 489

2004 GT Hatch Automatic Tranny - Only problem I have noticed is the automatic transmissions occasionsally gets to this "I don't know what gear I should be in" state. Whe I am driving about 25-30 in the city and it suddenly downshifts and my RPM's go up real high for no particular reason. I was definitely not "goosing it" to encourage a downshift. I may bring this up the next maintenance.

This post has been edited by mjrusso45: Mar 7 2005, 12:39 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
TGartnale
post Mar 20 2005, 05:13 AM
Post #22 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Thanks Received: 2
Member No.: 586
Mood: Nostalgic

I was very disappointed in my car, and Hyundai, when at 61,000 km, my rite rear wheel bearing needed replacing. SPB mentioned in a previous post that this seems to be a problem with our cars. Well, if Hyundai put in a substandard part that does not give a service life that should be closer to 200,000 km's, they should cover the $300 it cost me to have it repaired. I have doubts about recommending the Elantra as being reliable.
I had a new Toyota Matrix for a weekend. Hmm. . . . . . .

On the other hand, my dealer (Kamloops Hyundai) was excellent in taking care of this mechanical problem. I brought my car in on a Friday morning (having put the summer tires on in order to determine the loud drumming noise wasn't a bad Blizzak). I just wanted them to take the car for a drive to let me know what the problem was. While the mechanic was lookin up TSB's on the computer for this failure (there were none), the dealership gave me a used Accent to use- to get to my job for the day. They had the part in stock (which is actually a little suspisious, as their parts room is as big as my bathroom) and did the repair while I was at work. I didn't even have an appointment.

But, this has me questioning long term relibility. I had planned on keeping this car until 2010, until I move to another country. Wheel bearings should not fail at 40,000 miles.
This event has really taken my enthusiasm for this car on a downward spiral.

--------------------

So many changes in life, but this car keeps coming back to me

+Quote Post
MrHoaf
post Mar 22 2005, 07:03 PM
Post #23 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 384

I've had my 01 GLS 5-spd for 4 years, and there are 112,755 miles on the odo. I would say that probably 75% of those miles were on the interstate....

rants:

~ I had the throttle position sensor replaced under warranty (for the 3800RPM hesitation, didn't fix it, and I didn't discover the TSB about the ECU reflash until I was out of warranty)

~ I had the front drivers side wheel bearing go bad.... I can't remember the mileage, but I'm thinking it was around 20,000 miles.... replaced under warranty

~ Stock Michelins wore out at 30,000 miles... had to replace all 4 at once. I didn't like the way they rode or handled anyway, and at least they wore evenly, but I expected more out of a tire that supposedly costs $110 each.... I replaced them with Yokohamas that were cheaper (by almost half), handled better, and lasted longer.

~ I had the the corroded wiring harness issue.... caused my headlights to stay on and the power locks to stop working, only when it was raining.... dropped it off on monday morning, picked up rental on monday evening, picked my car up on friday... repaired under warranty, and dealer paid for the rental...

~ The brakes make noise after hard braking... a nasty grinding noise that sounds bad... like the pads are worn out and the rivets are gouging the rotors, but there is plenty pad left.... issue started after the warrannty expired, and it doesn't really bother me, the brakes still work fine... so it hasn't been resolved, and won't be until I replace the pads and rotors..... HOWEVER....

raves:

~ I am still running on the stock brakes!!!! (the main reason the noise doesn't bother me smile.gif )

~ Still using the original clutch!!!

~ The car still runs pretty much like new, burns very little to no oil.

~ The car is great fun to drive on the twistys....

conclusion:

Even though I've had some problems, the car has never let me down or left me stranded. To me, that's the most important thing. I am willing to overlook a few issues because I understand that nothing touched my human hands is perfect... as long as it doesn't let me down.....

I love the car, and I've recommended them to my friends and family. I'll definately consider another Hyundai when I'm ready to buy

--------------------

+Quote Post
bighart265
post Apr 1 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #24 | Print

Club Newbie
Group Icon
Member No.: 677

Have an 03 GT since 9/03. Runs great I take reasonable care of it. Found that the headlights are a little hard to replace when they burn out. Thats what turned me on to this club. Found some good information in here too.

I just put 26,000 on it and still runs fine.

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 108,422 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Update on the car
5 The Gegenator 889 18th January 2017 - 09:13 AM
Last post by: 2000J25SP
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon