This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
> Open Automotive Alliance
elantragt
post Jan 6 2014, 07:10 PM
Post #1 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

Google today unveiled the Open Automotive Alliance (OAA), a collaboration with Audi, GM, Honda, Hyundai, and Nvidia that's intended to accelerate in-car tech innovation.

"Common platforms allow for one connected experience across our phone, tablet and PC, so we get the right information at the right time, no matter what device we're using," Patrick Brady, director of Android Engineering, wrote in a blog post. "But there's still an important device that isn't yet connected as seamlessly to the other screens in our lives – the car."

As a result, the search giant is joining forces with automakers to help make it easier - and safer - to access Android devices from behind the wheel.

"Wouldn't it be great if you could bring your favorite apps and music with you, and use them safely with your car's built-in controls and in-dash display?" Brady wrote.

Using Android, he said, will make it easier for automakers to deliver "cutting-edge technology" to customers. A number of car makers already have in-car infotainment systems, like FordSync, but updates can be a hassle.

Meanwhile, the alliance "will create new opportunities for developers to extend the variety and depth of the Android app ecosystem in new, exciting and safe ways," Brady said.

"We see huge opportunities for the Android platform paired with OnStar 4G LTE connectivity in future Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles," said Mary Chan, president of General Motors' Global Connected Consumer unit.

"The worlds of consumer and automotive technologies have never been more closely aligned, and this alliance will only pave the way for faster innovation," said Ricky Hudi, Head of Electrics/Electronics Development at Audi AG. "Working toward a common ecosystems benefits driver safety above all."

source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429123,00.asp

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
1 members thank elantragt for this post
Vinnie
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
RPW00Mirage
post Jan 6 2014, 07:36 PM
Post #2 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

but i dont want to use android products sad.gif

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
Alex2013GT
post Jan 6 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #3 | Print

GT for life!
Group Icon
Group: VIP Members
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Thanks Received: 478
Trader Stats: 2 (100%)
Member No.: 34
Mood: Optimistic

Sounds interesting and its great to see the collaberation among different automakers to make this happen.

--------------------

Please consider helping keep the club online and independent. Donate here to help the club.

Current Car: 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT, 6 spd manual w/ the style and tech packages
Previous Hyundai's: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE in Venetian Red; 2006 Hyundai Sonata GLS, 3.3L V-6 in Ebony Black; 2004 Elantra GT, 5 spd manual in tidal wave blue

+Quote Post
1 members thank Alex2013GT for this post
Vinnie
roydjt
post Jan 6 2014, 11:33 PM
Post #4 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

Now that I'm on my second Android phone (Motorola Razr M, after a Samsung Vibrant aka Galaxy S), I'm a huge fan of the platform. I use my phone as GPS navigation and I often stream podcasts and music when I'm on long drives. Recently I've started using Waze and I'm impressed by the accurate traffic data and points of interest (known speed traps, cheap gas, etc). It's about time Google partnered up with the auto industry to integrate all of this. I'm really happy to see that Hyundai is right in the middle of it!

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
1 members thank roydjt for this post
Vinnie
a_v
post Jan 7 2014, 02:25 AM
Post #5 | Print

o hai
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Thanks Received: 219
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 7,384
Mood: Carefree

So we'll be able to root our cars and install custom ROMs on them? Sounds good until "Activity 'Brakes' has stopped responding..."

--------------------

and then I found 5 bucks!

EC Affiliate Mall! Shop online and the club benefits!
If you haven't done so, please take a minute to review the forum rules!

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Jan 7 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #6 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon

im really glad that the 2014s dont have this. ipod support is huge. my infotainment center can do a ton of stuff from my iphone.

and why would they screw us? there are alot more of us than android and winphone users.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Jan 7 2014, 01:43 PM
Post #7 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

QUOTE (RPW00Mirage @ Jan 7 2014, 08:16 AM) *
and why would they screw us? there are alot more of us than android and winphone users.

Not in 2012 and certainly not in 2013....

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2623415

This actually shows a drop in apple sales & market share in 2012 and 2013.

Apple has screwed it's customers over many times in one way or another. Just some simple stupid WTFs - They went to the lightning cable - but couldn't include the 30-4 pin adapter with new phones. Cases - same phone... buttons a mm off.

The fact is, if apple was such an investment worth while Audi, GM, Google, Honda, Hyundai & NVidia wouldn't have teamed up.

Everything boils down to - What each month CEO/CIO weekly magazine says - that's what the market does.

As for my company - Here's one departments phone stats.

All of these users use to have blackberry phones, because rumor was that RIM was going out of business... we swung the way of the market.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Jan 7 2014, 02:39 PM
Post #8 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon

or it could be the fact that there are billions of different android devices and builds versus a half dozen iOS devices.

android is just cheap. if you compare dollars to sense, dollars always wins.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Jan 7 2014, 03:00 PM
Post #9 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

QUOTE (RPW00Mirage @ Jan 7 2014, 02:39 PM) *
android is just cheap. if you compare dollars to sense, dollars always wins.

Could you explain this?

I spent $30 to get my wife a 30-4 pin adapter for her kia this christmas after spending $200 for an iphone 5 last year?

Upgraded 3 android devices in that time for luxury features... cable still works.

--------------------

+Quote Post
roydjt
post Jan 7 2014, 03:37 PM
Post #10 | Print

Outta the way!
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.85
Thanks Received: 272
Trader Stats: 4 (100%)
Member No.: 33
Mood: Cocky

I don't see how "android is just cheap". I have all of the same functionality with my android phone that you have with your iPhone and more, since the apps market is wide open to developers and isn't watched over by a large corporation who decides which apps are and are not acceptable. The hardware is just as good if not better. Durability is comparable. I'm not confined to iTunes if I want to put music on my phone. I don't see how apple is that superior. As for market share, Apple has been losing their grasp each year for the last few years, and there's no sign of that turning back:

-Roy

--------------------

"If what Jesus said was good, what can it matter if he was God or not?" - Kurt Vonnegut

+Quote Post
1 members thank roydjt for this post
Vinnie
elantragt
post Jan 7 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #11 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

Here's an interesting article. Basically they are saying Android dominates market share but Apple makes all the profits.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/20...-all-the-money/

Well yeah, Apple makes incredible profit by it's over the top pricing structure. rolleyes.gif

I think the reason Audi and Hyundai and Honda and GM are adopting Android is because Android has an ever increasing and dominant worldwide market share.

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank elantragt for this post
Vinnie
RPW00Mirage
post Jan 8 2014, 01:03 PM
Post #12 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon

cheap = low cost. not low quality.

as for the cabling, apple used the same cable for nearly 10 years. the 30 pin cable has a big and bulky connector. the lightning cable is a big upgrade for miniaturization and it can be plugged in both ways - i can't count the number of devices i've replaced the slots on because some dumbass plugged it in backwards and forced it so it snapped off the connectors. the g1 wasnt even available until 2008, so they already benefitted from being able to use micro USB . i'm sure within the next 2 or 3 years there will be a new usb standard and everyone else will be butthurt just the same(android, winphone, rim) .

itunes today is much better than itunes years ago. i'll give you that. for the average moron, it works just fine.

you can't fault the fact that if i drop my phone, short of water damage apple will pretty much replace it at zero cost, or atleast pretty cheap. not only that, but since the existing iphone is still pretty useful when new hardware comes out, i'm not scrambling to replace my phone every few months. ive had my current iphone5 since release. i've never had to reset, restore, or re-anything it. moving kristen from a 3gs, to a 4 then a 4s was pretty painless and only took a little bit of time each upgrade. i did much of the same moving originally from a 3gs, to a 4 to a 4s and a 5 every few years.

--------------------

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Automotive gimmicks I just don't understand
seriously, why?
13 bhorste 6,884 29th June 2011 - 06:44 AM
Last post by: Vampyrate

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:28 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America