This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Touring Owners, Do It Again?
Neanderthal
post Dec 27 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #1 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Thanks Received: 13
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 5,961
Mood: Good

After being a dedicated 3-box sedan owner my full driving life, I've turned over a new leaf and am looking at wagon-type vehicles. They can call them SUVs or whatever, but IMO most of these vehicles are replacements for the Country Squire set of decades back.
So...I drove a Soul a week or so back. Amazing space in there, a big "trunk" and lots of rear seat room. Rode a bit choppy, I'm sure the mandatory 18s didn't help much.

With a friend on another site looking for an HHR replacement, I started fishing around. KIA's website has an excellent "compare vehicles" function so I went looking around for similar vehicles. Then I remembered the Hyundai Touring. It's very close to the HHR regarding interior room and overall size.

It gets good grades from the testers, at www.Fuelly.com it gets similar MPGs to my Spectra. As it should, given the same drivetrains.

How are you Touring drivers liking your vehicles? What are the strengths and weaknesses? Thanks for any comments.

--------------------

007 Spectra EX auto

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jabohn
post Dec 27 2011, 02:12 PM
Post #2 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 2
Member No.: 3,976

I really like mine, it drives very nice. My only major complaints would be:

1. Features are basic - there don't seem to be many bells and whistles. At least in Canada, there is no option for bluetooth (yet it was included in the 2011 models) and there is no iPod hookup. It is obviously built to have the iPod hookup (I can see the spot for it in the compartment between the seats) but it's removed in the Canadian version. The stereo is very basic, only a slight step up from my 2007 Elantra. There are many fancy features that my friend's tiny VW has that is surprising and it's a basic model - power seats, much better stereo, gauge for outside temp, tells you how many km left until empty tank and more.

2. Noise - it seems to have a lot of road noise... mind you I haven't driven it on the highway with the stock tires, I had them immediately put on my winter tires (about 4 years old) but I don't recall there being so much noise when they were on my 2007 Elantra.

3. Storage Space - although the interior is similar to the 2007 Elantra, it actually has less storage space in the cabin area. There is one less compartment on the dash, the remaining 2 on the dash are smaller, and same with the tray behind the gear shift and the compartments between the seats under the arm rest.

4. Seat Heater doesn't keep your setting once you turn the car off

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
Neanderthal
post Jan 2 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #3 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Thanks Received: 13
Member No.: 5,961
Mood: Good

^^ Thanks. I drove one a few days back, seemed quite nice. Quieter than my Spectra.

--------------------

007 Spectra EX auto

+Quote Post
rstnick
post Aug 14 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #4 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 59
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 8,056
Mood: Carefree

Picking up a 2012 Touring tomorrow.
Will let you know in some months how we like it.

--------------------

Rob

2004 Elantra GT - traded in
2012 Elantra Touring GL, Titanium Grey, Auto, 2.0, Konig rims, tinted.
Two Kawasaki KZ650 Cs, a '77 C1 project, stock, and a '78 C2 with over 123,000 kms, modified.

+Quote Post
1 members thank rstnick for this post
Kate31
jabohn
post Aug 15 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #5 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

Time for a summer followup!

Now that we are in heat biggrin.gif I notice a lot of "cracking" noises as I get going. I'm not sure if it's the vinyl or what, but it seems to be triggered when the A/C is turned on.

The stereo does some strange stuff when playing MP3's... occasionally it'll just skip to another song when in the middle of another, yet the display text still stays at the original song. When playing from a usb thumb drive and you skip to the next song, the first second of audio is dropped. This doesn't happen if you let the songs just play normally from track to track and doesn't happen when playing MP3's off a CD. The unit also tends to pop when you turn it on, sometimes quite loudly, causing me to jump!

On a whole, the touring doesn't seem to handle quite as nicely as my 2007 Elantra. I definitely feel the difference when taking corners at higher speeds. It doesn't feel as "fluid" or smooth if that makes sense, almost as if the car is trying to compensate for something and is overdoing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elantragt
post Aug 15 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #6 | Print

Club Founder
Group Icon
Group: Admin
Posts Per Day: 3.04
Thanks Received: 2809
Trader Stats: 16 (100%)
Member No.: 1
Mood: Okay

QUOTE (jabohn @ Aug 15 2012, 02:54 PM) *
On a whole, the touring doesn't seem to handle quite as nicely as my 2007 Elantra. I definitely feel the difference when taking corners at higher speeds. It doesn't feel as "fluid" or smooth if that makes sense, almost as if the car is trying to compensate for something and is overdoing it.

Which is odd because most reviews of the car say the i30 suspension is more sport tuned than the HD's. huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jabohn
post Aug 15 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #7 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

Maybe it's just me, or something out of tune with my touring.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RPW00Mirage
post Aug 15 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #8 | Print

That Mitsubishi Guy
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Thanks Received: 423
Trader Stats: 3 (100%)
Member No.: 11,480
Mood: Complacent

maybe the elantra was "couched" compared to the i30. you never know.

I get that same 1-second blip when switching songs in my V. its more of a fade-in though.

--------------------

2014 Veloster Turbo - racecar

2002 Elantra GLS - DEAD AND GONE DEAD AND GONE

+Quote Post
rstnick
post Feb 16 2015, 11:58 AM
Post #9 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

Have had our Touring 2 1/2 years now.
She is a plain looking car, interior very basic.
I do like that, especially the dash.
Drove a newer Elantra GT recently, and all the chrome swoopy lines in the dash is so distracting.

Our Touring has done well so far, only one issue, some rust starting at the bottom of the window in the rear hatch.
Dealer has repaired that under warranty.

I have read of some auto tranny issues with the Tourings, so have kept watch on that.
Do get the occasional surge when staring off and it makes the switch from first to second.

Have 50000 kms on her almost.
We don't drive her much as my wife works from home, and I have a work vehicle I take home.

--------------------

Rob

Two Kawasaki KZ650 Cs, a '77 C1 project, stock, and a '78 C2 with over 123,000 kms, modified.

+Quote Post
elantraelite
post May 1 2015, 09:48 AM
Post #10 | Print

'05 Elantra & '98 Accent
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Thanks Received: 27
Member No.: 607
Mood: Anxious

I've got an i30cw badged Touring and it is a rough car. Have just clocked over 120,000 on the 1.6 crdi engine and it just runs great. Need to change the glow plugs soon, but that's it.

Have towed a 1100kg camper with the i30cw over 10,000km and its excellent. Suspension handles the extra weight really well. However it does feel like it has a bit of body roll when you throw it into corners. Co!pared to our GD i30 with the Aussie suspension setup... That thing handles like its on rails. The best thing Hyundai ever did was let Australians tweek the suspension. Every Hyundai hear that has the AU suspension setup passes with flying colors.

--------------------

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe Active 2.2 CRDi 6spd Auto, Ocean View
2014 Hyundai i30 elite , 1.6 CRDi, 6spd 5dr Hatch, Dazzling Blue
2009 Hyundai i30cw SX 1.6 CRDi 5spd 4dr Wagon, Hyper Silver
2007 Hyundai Getz S 1.4 DOHC 5spd 5dr Hatch, Blue
2005 Hyundai Elantra elit�, 2.0HVT 5spd, 4dr Sedan, Ebony Black
1998 Hyundai Excel GX, 1.5 DOHC, 5spd, 3dr Hatch, Red

+Quote Post
BNystrom
post May 6 2015, 06:46 AM
Post #11 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Thanks Received: 26
Member No.: 21

I just bought a used 2012 Elantra Touring SE with 25K miles on it. It's quite a bit different than the '04 GT that it's replacing.
- The suspension is definitely stiffer.
- The wider, lower profile tires turn in much quicker and are have a somewhat harsher ride, though tweaking the air pressure helps.
- The steering is tighter and with the smaller wheel, has a very different feel, but I like it.
- The clutch has a much better feel.
- It feels slower off the line, which is probably because it's 300 pounds heavier. Also, the stock 17" wheels seem to be considerably heavier than the 15" wheels on my old car, which will blunt acceleration.
- The position of reverse (up and left) takes some getting used to.
- The gas mileages is slightly better (despite the change in the EPA ratings) and I've averaged ~36 mpg since buying it (~90% highway driving).
- The Bluetooth module works OK, but it sucks that it shuts off when you turn off the engine. I'd like to be able to use it when parked, so I'll probably rewire it. I have yet to find a wiring diagram for the sunroof area.
- XM Radio sound quality is absolutely horrible! After the trial period, I'm done with it.
- Leather in the seats doesn't feel quite as good as that in my old car. The leather on the steering wheel feels like plastic.
- The wider cargo opening makes loading and unloading bikes considerably easier, which is one of the primary reasons I bought it.
- The heat comes on almost instantaneously, much faster than the heated seats do.
- There are lots of storage compartments in front, but their odd shapes make them less useful than they could be.
- The under-floor storage in the rear is much better than in the old car.

Overall, I like it, but it's going to take some time to get used to it.

--------------------

Regards

Brian

'04 Elantra GT 5 door, silver with:
Tib Sway bar, TWM Shifter w/raised frame and custom leather boot, PCV Filter, Disabled Clutch Interlock, Clutchvavlectomy, Fram Drain Valve, Independent Fog Lights, Key Out Sunroof Mod, Cabin Air Filter, Ground Wire Buss, A/C defroster bypass

+Quote Post
rstnick
post May 18 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #12 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon

Any pictures?

showpicts.gif

--------------------

Rob

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Touring named a best car for the money
5 zielritter 5,441 14th August 2012 - 10:15 PM
Last post by: rstnick
No New Posts Touring differences
5 jabohn 4,717 27th December 2011 - 11:41 AM
Last post by: Neanderthal
No New Posts Touring Paint confusion
9 buraian 6,682 14th March 2011 - 02:23 PM
Last post by: Dhalgren
No New Posts Touring Winter Tires/Wheels
13 MEly 10,787 31st October 2010 - 03:49 PM
Last post by: MEly
Closed Topic has attachmentsTouring is **more** expensive than Mazda 3 5-door?
Ummm, what… the… heck??!?!
74 natesi 33,166 14th August 2009 - 03:25 PM
Last post by: elantragt

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:26 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America