This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Overview
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Elantra MD Performance Modifications, Newbie needs advice
benman
post Sep 9 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #1 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 268
Trader Stats: 1 (100%)
Member No.: 10,696
Mood: Numb

I have a 2011 Elantra GLS Auto. I'm thinking that I'd like to do some low-cost modifications that would perhaps increase HP a bit. I'm not looking to make it "sound" good, although I'm OK with some difference from stock (although I don't want to sound like I'm farting down the street either).

For starters, I was going to take the extra carbon air filter out (I have a PZEV).

I'm considering a K&N filter. I've seen people say the stock air intake system is pretty good -- would a drop-in K&N filter help? Would there be any real advantage to putting in something else?

I was thinking of a new muffler. Read some reviews in the product review section of this forum but I don't know what would/wouldn't work with the MD. I'm not looking to put in an $800 catback system (I will say I'm impressed by yours Louiceman -- just don't want to shell out that sort of dough).

Hadn't thought of much else -- is there much else I could do at this point?

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
VMF
post Sep 9 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #2 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Thanks Received: 7
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 10,935
Mood: Accomplished

just an FYI, more air means more gas. so your fuel mileage will decrease. thats regarding your air filter. KN drop in air filters dont really do much, besides letting bigger chunks through or spitting oil on your maf if not properly maintained. as to the exhaust, catback will not do anything performance wise, if you want your engine to be less resticted in terms of flow you need the whole i/h/e package (intake, header, exhaust). changing just one of these components or doing it partially will not give you any hp gains, just looks and the sound.

--------------------

2008 KK limited 4x4. Inferno Red
2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl
2012 UD Limited. Royal Gray

+Quote Post
Louiceman
post Sep 9 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #3 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Thanks Received: 150
Member No.: 10,177

OEM CAI system is good design to change OEM air filter to K&N filter it will improve right a way but not enough HP that you looking for, SRI give HP but too loud CAI is the way to go, I got Apollo combine with OEM air vent duct when the car is moving the air will come through the duct faster than regular CAI I can feel the difference, single exhaust is good just change OEM exhaust all of this should be enough HP you looking for biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank Louiceman for this post
benman
VMF
post Sep 11 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #4 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

interesting ... do you have any dyno run charts to see any gains? also if possible please provide the total amounts that you spent on every particular upgrade. just curious about $spent/hp gained ratio. in my experience leaving the stock cat/header will kill catback upgrade. same goes for the intake. max u can get is 2-4hp. not worth the money, your ecu adjusts after sometime and tries to keep the mix ratio to the factory specs. i really don't think elantra was designed with performance in mind, just like new civics or corollas. trying to squeeze extra 5-10 hp and wasting a grand or more on it, thats a waste imho. want to get a car you can play with? get a honda/acura with h/b/k series engines and have some fun. leave the poor mu alone, it reminds me of honda d series engine. grocery getter, nothing more

--------------------

2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl

+Quote Post
Vinnie
post Sep 11 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #5 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Group: Leader
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Thanks Received: 558
Member No.: 7,533
Mood: Evil

If you do take the charcoal filter off, please do report how it is, does and runs.

I was in there today on my 09 and was a little confused as to why thats there. confused-scratchhead3.gif if there's the replaceable filter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Louiceman
post Sep 12 2011, 01:20 AM
Post #6 | Print

Poster Pro
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Thanks Received: 150
Member No.: 10,177

Lol first bennam talking about 2011 elantra modifications and I don't need to compair to another car.
Apollo cost$100 shipped single exhaust maybe $150-250 at local shop how many HP I don't know but I know is more than OEM car biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
1 members thank Louiceman for this post
benman
VMF
post Sep 12 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #7 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (Louiceman @ Sep 12 2011, 02:20 AM) *
I don't know but I know is more than OEM car biggrin.gif

intresting, i wonder how do you measure HP gains like that. just because it sounds cool doesnt mean it makes extra hp. i would suggest you spend $30 -$50 for some dyno runs and post them here. next time im taking my civic for the dyno run once i install new valve train, i'll put hyundai on it as well, just to see whats the stock one makes so i can compare it against yours and see the real HP gain. btw i saw some CAI/ short ram intakes actually make the car loose power. but they def decrease the miles per gallon number, oh and did i mention your stock ECU learns about the extra air and adjusts the mixture accordingly thus making any gain pretty much nonexitent? i mean its your money, do as you please, but the thing is, just like i said before, you have to upgrade eveything (I/h/e)if you want your engine to breath better

--------------------

2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl

+Quote Post
mbenz
post Sep 12 2011, 07:47 AM
Post #8 | Print

Power Poster
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Thanks Received: 49
Member No.: 10,411
Mood: Awake

What i would do is just chip the ecu you take off the delay from pressing down on the gas full throttle so ur car has faster reaction time you can get an SRI or a CAI i like sri cause i do like the loud sound when i press on the gas you can put a turbo but thats alot of money and time soo thats off the list you can get an exhaust system for pretty cheap like round 600-700 coustom and thats really it for engine mods ohh do headers as well and yeah thats all i know you can do for the car other than that go find a used gensis coup 2.0t and then you can mod that like crazy

--------------------

+Quote Post
jamhandman
post Sep 12 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #9 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Thanks Received: 57
Member No.: 4,755

I don't mean to be the one to say this, but I doubt you will find any modification that yields a large gain that doesn't throw a Engine Light... but I always like to be proven wrong biggrin.gif

--------------------

EC ROCKS! Show your support, ask/answer questions, start topics, post pictures, and donate!! Woots!

+Quote Post
2 members thank jamhandman for this post
VIG, Vinnie
VMF
post Sep 12 2011, 08:34 AM
Post #10 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

QUOTE (jamhandman @ Sep 12 2011, 09:24 AM) *
I don't mean to be the one to say this, but I doubt you will find any modification that yields a large gain that doesn't throw a Engine Light... but I always like to be proven wrong biggrin.gif

what he said, all the piggyback solutions usually do more damage then anything else. oh and it definetly voids the warranty.

when it comes to turbo.... lol you will spend at least 5 grand modding for the low boost, and hi boost solutions will cost you almost as much as the new elantra is. elantra is not a performance car, its an economy car. just leave it at that.
you want more performance - get a car that was meant for that. im usually for "function over looks mods" but in case of the elantra under warranty i would suggest sticking to "looks" mods of the elantra.

--------------------

2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl

+Quote Post
VMF
post Sep 12 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #11 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon

on the exhaust note, you know that mandrel bend is the way to go, but custom piping would cost much more then that, regular crush bent will last 2-3 years tops. but once again, do tell how catback will do anything but making it look/sound better when the flow is restricted in exhaust mani and in the cat?

--------------------

2009 JK Rubicon. Black
2004 UCF31. Black
2001 EM2. Inca pearl

+Quote Post
benman
post Sep 12 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #12 | Print

Post Maniac
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 268
Member No.: 10,696
Mood: Numb

QUOTE (Vinnie @ Sep 11 2011, 11:27 PM) *
If you do take the charcoal filter off, please do report how it is, does and runs.

I was in there today on my 09 and was a little confused as to why thats there. confused-scratchhead3.gif if there's the replaceable filter.

Hi Vinnie -- in other threads, it's been determined that this is a PZEV add-on. My assumption is that it cleans the air of things that would not really harm the engine but would produce some negative readings when present in the exhaust, making some of the difference between PZEV and ULEV. I do intend to at least do this part, and will let you know the effect when I do it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Elantra Sport review
4 elantragt 112,335 21st June 2017 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
Elantra GLS 2016 Diesel HID to Xenon
0 zipzip 977 13th November 2016 - 05:56 PM
Last post by: zipzip
No New Posts Elantra GT TIRES
215-45-17 TIRES
0 i30al 1,054 31st July 2016 - 10:11 PM
Last post by: i30al
No New Posts Elantra HP boost
Any suggestions on hp boost for elantra?
7 Spiritblade 2,302 2nd March 2016 - 04:04 PM
Last post by: Morsel
No New Posts Elantra Turbo Pistons and Rods
Performance
1 TSmooth8403 1,584 31st January 2016 - 11:30 PM
Last post by: 2000J25SP

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:29 AM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America