This is an archived forum community. It's currently closed to new memberships.
ElantraClub - for all generations

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clicking/knocking when using clutch + rattle at idle
zero10
post May 20 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #1 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Group: Members
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 2
Trader Stats: 0 (0%)
Member No.: 8,379
Mood: Accomplished

I am having an issue with my 2010 Elantra Touring and I am wondering if it is normal. Whenever I let my foot off the clutch there is a knock/click that comes from the gearbox or clutch. It is definitely not a noise from the clutch actuator as it does not make the sound if the engine is not running. Is this a normal sound?

The reason I am curious is because I have been experiencing a knocking/rattling at idle. It happens only when the engine is fully warm and it is very intermittent. Sometimes it will happen once a week, other times it will happen every time I pull up to a light for an entire trip. It only makes the sound when the gearbox is in neutral and the clutch is engaged (my foot is completely off the pedal), it will rattle/knock at about the engine speed for 15-45 seconds and it will instantly stop if I step on the clutch (and it only very rarely returns when I let my foot off the clutch pedal). The knocking is loud enough you can hear it over the radio and feel it through the floor, steering wheel and most noticeably through the shifter. Unfortunately it seems to always happen when I am in traffic so I am unable to hop out and inspect the problem any closer.

Is this something anybody else has run into? Is it perhaps normal?

On a previous car I had, the dual mass flywheel was defective and made a rather similar racket to this. Does my Elantra Touring have a DMF?

Sorry for all the questions. I have had a big problem so far with my local dealership being strangely unable to duplicate some very annoying issues with my car so before I take it to them I like to have a good idea of what is wrong (that seems to be the only way to get them to fix things). The car has only 4485km on it right now and it has done this since it was brand new, although I don't remember the demo car I drove making this sound.

--------------------

A proud member of the club.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
streetfighterguy
post May 20 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #2 | Print

Insert title here
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Thanks Received: 19
Member No.: 7,980
Mood: Exhausted

I am having clicking noise in my engine as well but i haven't checked the clutch to see if that was the cause of the problem. Mine happens when the car is running and it makes this annoying clicking noise at about 2500 rpm and on up. First i thought it was valve tap but it is lower in my motor and it could be a faultly clutch setup but you will have to do process of elimiation on your car to locate the source of your sound.

My car still runs fine with the tapping/clicking but i am still about to have the whole thing torn apart.

--------------------

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.

+Quote Post
only1db
post May 20 2010, 05:25 PM
Post #3 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 2,023

i would be going right bac kto the dealership!

and no the touring uses the same singele mass that the XD/XD2/HD do.

--------------------

Silver Certified Hyundai Tech turned Sonographer...and blogger?? check it out! All Things Hyundai!

+Quote Post
zero10
post May 20 2010, 06:13 PM
Post #4 | Print

Club Regular
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Thanks Received: 2
Member No.: 8,379

The problem is that the dealership I have been dealing with has been a little less than useless whenever the problem is in any way intermittent. I had an issue with my climate control and they would just play with it until it worked then demonstrate how obviously there was never any problem at all rolleyes.gif

I may try a different dealership but first I'll try to get a video of the click/knock up here to see if it helps in diagnosis at all. The knocking/rattling at idle is so rare that it is very difficult to get the car to the dealership and show them the problem. I am working on finding a reliable way to duplicate it, but I bet it would only be covered under the 1 year 20,000km warranty so I need to sort it out quickly sad.gif

Good to know it is a single mass. When the dual mass flywheel failed in my other car it was a ~$1100 repair and over a week without my car (of course, it was warrantied but still I don't want to have that happen again).

--------------------

A proud member of the club.

+Quote Post
only1db
post May 21 2010, 05:59 AM
Post #5 | Print

Elantra Guru
Group Icon
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Thanks Received: 59
Member No.: 2,023

i hear ya...and whatever it is should easily be covered under the 5yr 60k warranty

--------------------

Silver Certified Hyundai Tech turned Sonographer...and blogger?? check it out! All Things Hyundai!

+Quote Post
streetfighterguy
post May 21 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #6 | Print

Insert title here
Group Icon
Group: Lifetimer
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Thanks Received: 19
Member No.: 7,980
Mood: Exhausted

yeah the dealership they did me a favor when they checked my car by doing the ear diagnostic test. Very effective in determining that my engine needed to get replaced... so with 100 dollars for the Ear test i did the next best thing and didn't go back to the dealer.

--------------------

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.

+Quote Post
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 user(s) are reading this topic (1 guests and 0 anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts At least one more year of EC
0 elantragt 25,181 5th November 2020 - 10:05 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Clutch master empty 9 days after slave replaced
Slave replaced 6/3, pedal to floor 2nd time this month
2 westcoastcoupe 1,200 13th June 2017 - 09:28 PM
Last post by: cabreco
No New Posts Attachment space
2 cabreco 50,399 29th October 2016 - 11:58 AM
Last post by: elantragt
No New Posts Attention New England people!!
3 slowgls 785 1st October 2016 - 08:55 AM
Last post by: slowgls
No New Posts Clutch issues
5 evilDSM 1,234 20th June 2016 - 05:26 PM
Last post by: Bobzilla

Copyright 2022 The Elantra Club    
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:54 PM
Elantra Club is not affiliated in any way with Hyundai Motor America